Help for gassy, grunting breastfed newborn?

My 3 week old is breastfed and she is constantly grunting. Every night about 4 or 5 in the am she starts grunting so loud and squirming in pain. It takes a couple hours for her to finally pass anything. She does it all throughout the day and night when she is trying to get rid of gas...and she has a lot of it. She poops very often. I really don't know what it is in my diet that would make her so gassy...I'm not eating a lot of any one kind of food. I reluctantly tried Infant Mycolin for gas relief but it doesn't seem to help. It's really disrupting her sleep and everyone else's. I keep thinking we will get through it eventually but in the meantime she is really struggling. I do lift her legs to her chest and rub her belly and pat her butt, etc to try to help her. A friend of mine's baby grunted all the time too and her ped told her it was called something but I can't remember what it was. Any advice?

lish2127

Asked by lish2127 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try to give her camamille tea (spelling) after you nurse her. or put a rolled up towel under her belly, no shes to young. Well try to jot down what it is that you are eating. Keep rubbing her tummy. Sorry
    chellenout

Answer by chellenout at 9:57 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I think it's normal. Are you sure she's in pain? My baby would grunt and squirm, but she didn't cry or anything. She did fart ALOT. Thats normal for a breastfed baby. When she did get gas, however, my hubby would lay her belly down across his forearm and pat her back. She would just burp and fart forever. Maybe try that. Try taking beano maybe too? Not sure if this would work or not since you say your not eating anything gassy. But I don't think it will hurt cause I knw it's safe to take while pregna tnad breastfeeding. BEst of luck to you hun!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:59 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I strongly reccomend AGAINST giving your newborn anything but breastmilk. PLEASE so not give your baby tea. You can drink the tea, and she will get it.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• You can give your baby gas relief drops from any duane reade-cvs-rite aid store. It worked wonders for my son when he was a newborn on the first dose.
    SugaB28

Answer by SugaB28 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Foods that make mom gassy do not make baby gassy Your gas does not get passed through the breast milk. It is rarely a food that bothers baby. It is very common for mom to have an oversupply of milk that makes baby gassy. Baby gets too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. Make sure you allow baby to nurse as long as they like on the first breast. If they are full after one breast, fine. If they drain the first breast and are still hungry then offer the other. Feeding more frequently also increases fat content. Don't pump in addition to exclusive breastfeeding at this point. Wait a few more weeks for your body to learn to make the "perfect amount" of milk.
    Could also just be an immature digestive system :-)
    navy-wife is right, anything other than breastmilk can alter their gut flora and cause more gas.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My twins were the same way. They would scream and cry every time they would nurse. Nothing over the counter would work for them. I would just have to work their legs to get the gas out and make sur to burb really good..Good luck:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 12:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I found I could not eat certain foods while breastfeeding. I know everyone says that what you eat doesn't affect your nursing baby, but I disagree. EVERY TIME I ate dairy, broccoli, onions, green peppers, cauliflower, or garlic my son would be terribly colicky the next day. (Extremely fussy, gassy, drawing up legs, etc.) After about 3 1/2-4 months foods I ate didn't bother him anymore. They can say what they want, but I believe whole heartedly that what you eat does affect your baby. Just keep a food journal and see if you notice any patterns.
    TonyJosMommy

Answer by TonyJosMommy at 2:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I've heard the opposite: EVERYTHING you eat will affect your baby, though either my guy is not at all picky, or it's not true! The food journal is a great idea, definitely worth a try, anyway!

Make sure you're getting plenty of water and fiber, if baby is being deprived of any of that, it could give her trouble.

I would never give my baby something other than breastmilk unless instructed by her doctor, though. Some things may have worked great for others, but do you want to risk giving her something that some stranger on the internet told you "worked great"? I hope not.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Thanks for the responses.

Yeah it's funny that was the first time I've heard that what you eat DOESN'T affect the baby. With my son I couldn't eat broccoli or cabbage, etc or he would get really gassy. Also something maggiemom said that I don't know if I understand is about the baby getting more fat content from hindmilk and is that supposed to mean that more fat means less gas?...digestion of fat is what causes gas...so how would that make any sense?

One thing that could be contributing is that I have so much more milk at night time and I nurse her laying down in bed during the night and it comes out faster than she can handle so maybe she is just getting too much air.

I wouldn't give my baby tea...or anything else this early, that's why I said I reluctantly tried Infant Mycolin which is gas relief drops supposedly safe for newborns. It didn't seem to work so I haven't been using it anymore
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2008