Just wondering if anyone can share their experience of when they went into labor?

I'm hoping to know what to look for as far as what I may feel or how I would know it's happening for real. Like the certain places I may feel the pains or early symptoms possibly.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Its different for every woman, and every pregnancy is different too. My first one my water broke before I had cramps or anything. My second one I started having little cramps in the morning then they got worse as the day went on. you will know when its time, thee will be something in your head that says its time. Good luck and congrats !!
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My first labor started with braxton hicks contractions that came every 10-15 minutes and lasted about 6 hours, with them my stomach would get really hard and tight but they weren't painful. When the real contractions came it was still tightening, but painful in my lower back and lower abdomen. I had heard the pain described as waves and that's exactly what it felt like, each contraction would start out slightly painful then grow in intensity becoming more and more painful, then grow less and less painful until it didn't hurt anymore. Then there would be no pain for a matter of minutes until the next wave started. I also had diarreah (however you spell that) in the very beginning of labor with 2 out of my 3 babies, and had a little bit of blood when I went to the bathroom.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• wow well my labor was weird. i didn't even think i was in labor. bchs, (mild lower back pain contractions) started after sex. i went to wal mart and started walking around. contractons moved into my stomach but did not hurt. it was like hard stomach soft stomach. i went to the gym and ran for a while. they kept coming every 2-3 min, never got painful, just hard stomach soft stomach. i went home and cleaned the house and did some more exercise, lots of power squats and lunges, still never got painful but my dh and his fam said "you're still having contractions you need to go" but my doc who i called said not to come in til they are so painful i couldn't walk or talk. i went anyway. when they hooked me up to the monitor they said my contractions were very strong and i was 6 cm. could have fooled me. i gave birth 4 hours later never once having a contraction that took my breath away. the 2 tears i got were the most painful part
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Mine is probably not that helpful. With my first...I was laying on the couch when my water broke...well I should say burst. There was a trail of water from the couch, up the stairs, and a huge puddle on the bathroom floor. My contractions started an hour later when I was on my way to the hospital and then I had her an hour after that with one push. My second DD...I could full my tummy tightening every 5 minutes all day but it didn't hurt so I didn't think it was labor. My water broke and then I had her 45 minutes after that with no pushes before the doc got there.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My water broke around 2 AM and I started having mild cramps, like menstrual cramps. Like countrygirl said, though, it is different for everyone. Good luck when your time comes. Relax as much as you can and know that you will do fine!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Thank you all so very much for your answers. I've been going nutso trying to find out what it would be like. I know that I won't fully know the extent of it until it happens but I'm just trying to prepare myself to look for the symptoms so I'm not struggling through it. I guess I'm just really nervous...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It's normal to be nervous! It's different for everyone, but most women say the pains feel like menstrual cramps (I agree). They will come and go, and they will get closer together with time.
    My water broke around 5AM, but I thought I had wet the bed. I cleaned it up and went back to bed. I went through my day as normal, except I thought I was peeing constantly. Somehow, it took me FOURTEEN HOURS to figure out that my water had broken! LOL The irony is that I am studying to be a midwife! I finally went to the hospital and started having contractions around 8PM. I didn't go into active labor until about 10AM the next day (29 hours after my water broke). I ended up with an emergency c-section after my son's heart stopped (his cord was wrapped around his torso, so when I pushed, it compressed the cord), and he was born at 8:25PM.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2010