Need to find legal advice fast

I am currently in a custody battle. The father of my child is trying to get full custody when he has no right to even consider. The Guardian ad litem seems to be on his side and not even considering anything that I tell her. Need some advice on where I can get some free legal advice asap! My court is on the 28th of this month. Would have already gotten one but things seemed like they were going in my favor. Please help! I live in Minnesota

nicolesteele7

Asked by nicolesteele7 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• You need to google legal aid for your area and see what comes up. Some have a help line you can call.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• You could try to get a free consult from a lawyer. i dont know if legal aid could help you or not.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 8:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Rep. yourself, a lawyer will cost to much money.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 10:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Try getting a lawyer as soon as possible and tell him when the court date is and see if he can ask for a continuance. That should be no problem.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Do NOT represent yourself (that is horrible advice) especially in a custody battle! You need to ask for a continuance for counsel and find out where legal aid is in your area. If they are not willing to help get in touch with your Senator - Get LOUD fast - remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease - do not wait for someone to hand your kids over to your ex without a fight!
    gambilldl

Answer by gambilldl at 9:47 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Get a lawyer - try to find a family and child advocacy program that might refer you to one or may have an attorney on staff.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• You need a lawyer that specializes in family law.....but, yes, ask the court for a continuance asap. It will take an attorney time to get up to speed on your case. Call the local state bar association and see if they can give you some suggestions as to an attorney. If the custody of your child is at stake, free advice may not be enough.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 11:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Bump
    bnnsweet

Answer by bnnsweet at 10:51 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• legal aid maybe?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I would def. try to find a lawyer... also check out some of the custody groups here for advice.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2010