$273,000 to lawmakers in Blue Springs, Mo., for the purpose of fighting Goth culture

WHO: U.S. Department of Education

WHAT: Lawmakers have secured nearly $2.3 billion in earmarks from the federal Department of Education. Such earmarks include $25,000 to a Las Vegas school district for a mariachi music program, $191,593 to Central Washington University for developing curriculum including studying local wines, $273,000 to lawmakers in Blue Springs, Mo., for the purpose of fighting Goth culture, $450,000 to the National Baseball Hall of Fame, $200,000 to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and $400,000 to the National Aviation Hall of Fame.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/node/517207#ixzz18hqcqTAP
*************
SERIOUSLY?!?!?!!!???! Goth culture?
couldn't the money go to preventing GANG activity instead?  
*not to mention the other stuff money is being put out for...it's rediculous

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 8:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Goth was around, WAAAY before Twilight, and in fact, most Goths with any self respect are NOT into Twilight.

But why is the Gov't paying to get RID of a subculture? This country is MADE up of subcultures,... It's what makes us interesting and not a boring sack of shit culture....
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 10:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I blame dumb ass, crooked, corrupt politicians with no sense of responsibility or respectability!!
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Wow!  I'm shocked!!!

jaw drop

No.  Not really.  :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• And this my friends is why our children and our schools are not up to par in education
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Gees, I wonder why we keep going deeper and deeper in debt.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• *blink* nooo really? good lord someone has thier priorities ALL SHADES OF SCREWED UP there dont they?
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 8:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Some of my best friends from college are "goth". They pose no threat. Any politician (either side of aisle) who condones this type of spending needs to be publically ridiculed.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• How utterly stupid.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I blame Twilight.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My thing is- that Goths are some of the nicest most interesting people I have known...

why not spend the money on actual GANG activity or put it towards shelters for battered women or somthing actually useful?
    and like Saya said "why is the Gov't paying to get RID of a subculture"?
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2010