What am I supposed to tell my friend who is finally breaking it off with her a$$hole boyfriend?

They've been together for several years and even though I've known her for a while I don't know him very well. All I've heard about him is bad things (not physically abusive, but mentally) and now they are finally breaking it off but she is still living with him for the next week until he moves out. She keeps telling me all the bullsh*t he is putting her through, and I know she's upset and doesn't want to hear about how much better it will be WITHOUT him and I don't know what to say. Do you think just listening is enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• Just support her and let her vent. Then help her keep herself busy if you can after the break up so she won't go back to him out of loneliness.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 9:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• yes, the best thing you can do right now is just listen and let her know you are there for her.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think letting your friend know that you hear what she is going through is going to be good. You can`t make her decisions for her but just to say back to her what you heard from her is very positive. That way she knows someone is listening.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Sometimes thast all we want is someone to vent to.. to lighten out mind....
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Tell her that you are there to support her in any decisions she makes.Give her a shoulder to cry on when he leaves then help to keep her busy.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 12:41 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I thinking listening is enough.
    shortcake120

Answer by shortcake120 at 1:58 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Offer her your support and remind her that it will be over soon and that she should stick to her decision. Try to be there and to occupy her as much as you can, especially by getting her away from him and her situation. Let her vent and don't judge. Listen to her, but try to lead her in positive conversations. Emphasize the good in her so she'll respect herself and continue on with her decision. Who knows? Maybe she will end the relationship sooner.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:29 AM on Dec. 21, 2010