What causes fainting in a 13 year-old boy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• fatigue
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• over heated or hunger can too.
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 9:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• That is something you need to take your son to the doc for. I never started passing out until I was about 17 but they found out that I have a problem with my body retaining salt sugar and water. I also have a problem with my heart that also plays into it a bit. But take him in and get it checked out. I didnt worry about mine because it didnt happen often but then it got to the point where i was passing out 5-8 times a week.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• You need to bring him to see a doctor about it.

Answer by louise2 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• my friend's 12 year old son just had this happen. His dad has MS but they don't think he does. They think his blood sugar just got too low
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My 15yr old passes out a lot. I have taken him in to the doctor and to the ER a few times now. They don't want to do a CAT scan because they say it's too much radiation for a young boy. The only thing they have done is given him a shot in the butt for a migraine & told him to stand up slower.
    I hope you get more answers than I have! Feel free to let me know what you find out.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 9:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Take him to see a doctor. My friends 13 YO boy was having that, and it turned out to be blood vessles constricting in his legs. They said it's common in older people, but are seeing it more and more in younger kids. Mostly due to video games and tv, but this is a VERY active boy. He's medicated now and they are expecting him to outgrow it. But it took almost a year of testing to get it diagnosed.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• it all depends on what he was doing when he fainted...
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• low iron levels.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 6:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• sharleann: INSIST on the CAT scan or whatever testing he needs to find out why he is fainting, the amount of raditation in a CAT scan or MRI is minimal. Sounds like it's time for a new doctor.

OP: Please take your son to the doctor to find out why, that is not normal for a teenage boy to just faint without a reason.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2010