how manytimes can you dye your hair while being pregnant?

sherryfeltner

Asked by sherryfeltner at 10:17 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You shouldn't at all.... There isn't enough research either way to prove that it doesn't hurt the baby or that it does. I was always told to stay away form it, and if you really want to then get highlights where the chemicals aren't directly on your scalp
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• You can use henna dyes all you want, they are natural and you smell like a hippie cookie when you're done :) And if you don't like the smell it does go away rather quickly.

You shouldn't use chemical dyes for a number of reasons and it's just better to be safe than sorry :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• i dyed my hair around 13 wks of my pregnancy any I am now 24 wks. My son is healthy and growing fine. Its kind of up to you and how you think you can handle it. The smell is what got to me really. I didnt leave it on as long thats all.
    samiemommy

Answer by samiemommy at 12:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• it doesnt hurt the baby, my hairdresser didnt even wear gloves while pregs and working, her kids are all fine, i did mine once to dye it natural or as close as i could the biggest issue is sitting still and the smell is terrible, there is no limit to how many times, ask your doc but they all say it is completely safe, do terrible animal tests to be sure of it too.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I'm a hairdresser. YOu certainly can color your hair when pregnant. I think the reason some dr.s say not to is because they don't know if it's safe or not so to protect themselves they say no. One thing you should consider though is this: During any time of your life that your hormones are raging (whether it be puberty, pregnancy or menopause) any chemical service may not take the same as it would under "normal" circumstances. That's all. Any other ?'s feel free to message me!!
    nkasmom

Answer by nkasmom at 12:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I dyed my hair at 11 weeks pregnant and everything was fine. I got my hair done again after I had my son.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I have been told that highlights after 12 weeks is ok. But I wouldn't take any chances on full hair color while pregnant. The doctor's don't just try to protec themselves..they try to protect the baby. A long time ago no one really knew smoking could hurt the fetus so much and now they do know. So what if in 5-10 more years they find out that hair color really can cause health problems. I just wouldn't chance it but, its definitely up to you.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 7:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2008