Why does potty training seem impossible?? please help if you've successfully potty trained a child!!

How old was your child when you potty trained? How long did it take?? Are pull-ups a good or bad idea? I have a lot of questions, my daughter is almost two and we are trying to get her comfortable with the idea of a potty but she has zero interest in it. Thanks for helping me!!

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Definitely wait until she somes some interest, otherwise you'll be fighting a losing battle. We loosely did the 3 day potty method. She was pee-pee trained in 2 days. Poop took about 2 solid months. We did not use pull-ups at first and only did right before she ended up being poop trained, only b/c I couldn't handle going through 3-4 pair of poopy underwear a day, which is what we were doing. What I finally did was kept her naked one day and literally watched her every move. As soon as she showed signs of needing to go, we quietly went and sat on the potty. She finally went. She did have a couple accidents after that, and then for some reason, over Thanksgiving at the in-laws, she decided she was ready on her own and has not had an accident since. If you can get away without pull ups I would, in my opinion it's still a diaper.
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 10:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I potty trained 3 boys and never used pullups. I've heard that its easier to pottytrain a girl, but you have to wait until she is ready to use the potty.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My Son was just under 2 1/2 when He became a Potty Pro. It only took Him four days to FULLY train, and on the second day, He started standing to pee and stopped wetting at night. He has been in underwear since Day 1 of potty training (October 24, 2009) and rarely used Pull-Ups (only when We went out for a couple weeks after He graduated). He also had no problem pooping on the potty like some kids do. Best advice: be consistent, give rewards, and use a sticker chart to show their progress.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• She will be 3 next week. We have been training at her rate since 18 months. Letting her lead the way. once she got to 85% we started 'training' for real. Last week I took away the diapers. Gone out of sight. She was potty trained that day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• She is not ready.

My son potty trained himself at 3 years and 2 months. I waited until he was ready and came to me. He potty trained himself through the day, at night, poop, and out in public within a week.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I have two boys, 13 months apart. My oldest is 3 1/2, and trained within a month after his 3rd birthday. My youngest is 2 1/2 and isn't ready yet. I say don't push her on it. When she's ready, she's ready. Otherwise, you're wasting your time and hers.
    I never used pull ups, because in my opinion, a diaper is a diaper.
    Don't know if that helped, but good luck to you! I know it can get frustrating and worrisome.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 10:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My son potty trained a month shy of 3 years. I introduced him to the potty at about 2 1/2 but then left it up to him to be interested. One day he woke up and decided he was a big boy.

I did not use pull ups. We cloth diaper and put some flannel liners in his diapers so he would feel the wetness (started about a week before he decided on undies and not diapers) and I think that it helped a TON. Pull ups would not notify him that he was wet.

My grandma swears that my mom did not night potty train until she got her some silk undies. My son started staying dry at night when we got him some boxers. Something that feels totally different from a diaper helps that transition.
    LuckyPlusOne

Answer by LuckyPlusOne at 10:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I guess I should mention she's 2.5, almost 3.
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 10:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Just wanted to say THANKS and you all make me feel like I can relax and let her learn when she is ready to. Honestly I think I was just feeling pressure from some pushy in-laws. "She should be potty training!" is what I've heard recently. I need to just cool it I think! Thanks again.
    cdecker83

Comment by cdecker83 (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• i potty trained my daughter at 26 months.. took a week.. and a lot of patience. we got her a potty when she was 18 moths and she used it for everything including a hat, chair, and toy holder.. you gotta let them get familiar with their potty. i also didnt touch pullups except for bedtime and nap time and car rides over 10 mins. we got the potty training underwear by gerber and had maybe 20 pairs kuz the first couple of days was constant messes. its like if we peed our undies and got wet, they dont like the feeling either. pullups are just like diapers but harder to get off. she peed in the potty day 1 and pooped day 2. we kept a sticker chart on a poster board we hung in her bedroom and she put the stickers on it herself. a big one for poop and a smaller shiny one for pee.. we marked every potty.. we didnt reward with candy.. just the stickers on a poster board and it worked great! and go potty go dvd from toys r us!
    usmcgirl86

Answer by usmcgirl86 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 20, 2010