at what age do kids start questioning santa and the tooth fairy?

I thought this was really early, but I have a 5.5 year old she however is in kindergarden. But anyway every once in a while she says something about santa not being real then other times she calls him santa. Then today she lost her first tooth and I told her that she needed to put it under the pillow so that the tooth fairy would come and bring her money. She then told me I don't think the tooth fairy is real. I asked her why? She said I don't know. I asked her who told her that and she said noone. So do I just tell her the truth or tell her that she is real? I thought that was really young to question?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• My older one is 12 and he figured it out on his own but our younger one is a young 11 and he still believes. I kinda want to tell him but Hubs says no give him until after the holidays - so were waiting. I myslef kinda figured it out around 10/11 andn my family sat me down and told me not to tell any of the younger kids when I was 12
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 10:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I told my kids this year at 6 and 7 just because I was uncomfortable lying anymore.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• IDK at what age they stop believing, but I hope it's not until they are at least 10/11+. I want them to believe in the majic and fun of it all for as LONG as they can. My parents did SUCH a GREAT job that I believed until I was 11. I took it ok, but my older sister didn't...she was 13 and she cried! LOL! Bless her heart. And we weren't naive, we had suspected it wasn't real, we just didn't want to stop believing. Well, I guess my dad didn't feel like playing Santa anymore that year (first Christmas we spent with him after our parents' divorce), so he told us none of it was real.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 11:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think it depends on the kid in question. My 8 year old son still believes in Santa and the Tooth Fairy. He's a kid who likes to believe in things. He is willing to suspend disbelief in all kinds of crazy situations! My 6 year old, on the other hand, is very pragmatic and logical about everything. I suspect her big brother won't stop believing until she lays it all out on the line for him!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:31 AM on Dec. 21, 2010