One dog three kids

Our children wanted a pet but they all wanted thier own pet.Now we ended up with three puppies.All three kids are doing great with the training prosses.But I however am not crazy about three being in my house.The kids are taking them out side to feed them an to potty.They are keeping them in thier rooms.They are bathing them.SO WHATS MY PROBLEM>the pups arent yelping.Should I let them keep them?

fearful5

Asked by fearful5 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Pets

• Maybe if you get a dog door and a baby gate (tall one) so they can be confined to one room in the house at certain times. We have 3 dogs and a cat (and 2 guinea pigs). It can be done and the dogs will end up keeping each other company (and getting into triple trouble too.... ha ha ha!). You can't give any back at this point! I'm gathering your kids are fairly young if they're not in school yet. Cool that they're growing up together! Probably what makes them keep to their pet chores is that all three are doing their jobs. Just know what you will do if one misses his/her job so that the others seeing the consequenses will not follow suit. Good luck! ENJOY the insanity! Should produce some wonderful memories!
    momofours

Answer by momofours at 2:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Yikes...3 dogs...what kind are they? They wont stay puppies for long,

And of course can you afford this? when their at school your the one looking after them
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:37 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• The answer to your question Lexsies is yes It will be careing for them.Thats why Im not sure I want to deal with this.However to make this mistake worse would mean two kids loose thier pets.It was a big mistake on my part lol.Lessons of love.However the potty stuff is going ok.As I said they dont yelp.But I dont want my house to smell like a shelter.What can I do to prevent that.I am a cleaning nut.I have mop the floors this morning sprayed the rooms bathed the dogs an open windows lol.I dont think I can bath them three times a day.As to every time they come in from out side can I?
    fearful5

Answer by fearful5 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Fearful, I have 4 dogs now! OH MY! I never expected this! I don't know what kind of puppies you have, we have mostly terriers so they don't "smell" very much. Don't overbathe your dogs depending on what kind they are, it may make them smell worse, lol! Some dogs have dry skin and the oil will overcompensate. Personally, I feel like if you gave your kids the dogs you need to stick to that unless there is a serious reason to go back on that. One of my solutions is we have the LARGEST CRATE you can get. They are all used to crate training. This makes it easy to have only one set of blankets to keep clean, etc. We have one communal cute dog toy bin..
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 11:39 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Proper grooming of the type dog you have will really help. Maybe go on line or to a second hand bookstore and get a book on it and see how often they need bathed and with what will help. PM me if you want more suggestions. It does seem overwhelming at first. Also, the dogs don't need out all the time all at onceThey can have some downtime -- as can you.
    KnoxvilleDoula

• Really, it should have been something that took more thinking, but you already know that now, lol. How old are the kids? What kind of dogs are they? One dog is just as good as 3...if it becomes too overwhelming, get rid of 2. Hopefully they're old enough to understand and learn to share. I have 2 large dogs with 3 kids but the dogs are my husbands...not my kids.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Wow 3 puppies at one time ... crazy! My black lab is 18 months and I couldn't imagine have two more her age.

I agree with one of the PP's that this should have been something you should have thought of BEFORE getting 3 puppies, but too late now. I say you bought them, you deal with them. It was obviously your idea, and it was supported, to get 3 puppies. Your children, at least 2 of the 3, will be VERY upset that you gave away their dogs so I say just deal with having them.

I'd have to say I'm very curious what kind of dogs they are too. And dogs really don't have to be bathed that much. I think we have washed our lab a handful of times since we got her. Hopefully you plan on getting them fixed? Keeping up on their shots?

It does get better, they do grow up and get out of the puppy phase and become good dogs :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• We have 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 fish tanks and a lizard! For the second year, our DD is asking for a hamster for christmas - it's a regular zoo! We don't have any carpet so I just dust mop or damp mop daily. The dogs are kenneled overnight. We don't have any odor problems - guests are usually shocked as they stumble across so many critters. I use baking soda & vinegar to clean with.
    If the kiddos are holding up their end of the deal & doing the feeding & potty duty, I say stick it out, and teach them how much extra cleaning they get to do as well. There is a special bond that can form between a child & thier pet that gives the child a non-judegemental, unconditional love that can be a real moral boost during tough times. This is a great lesson in responsibility and being careful what you wish for - for all of you :)
    Good Luck in whatever you decide.
    greenergypsy

Answer by greenergypsy at 4:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• you could get rid of all three and start over. i have two but i got another dog a little one and that was even too much. i did have 3 dogs and had to get rid of one of them. they were all good dogs but i felt cramped and very uncomfortable for some odd reason. maybe like what your feeling. i couldn't get over. when i watch my moms toy poodle it's to much. you weren't thinking logically when you let your heart lead you. i think you should nip this in the butt cause it's hard to maintain all of them no matter how well they are right now. not to mention 3 vet bills etc.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Sounds like you have made the choice to have 3, so now what!! You didn't say what breed, age of children, etc...

Maybe a few rules now would be a good place to start...
    If you don't...then this will happen...

I've had 5 kids and dogs, snakes, hamsters, rats, cats, bunnies,,,, etc
    the bottom line is if they don't do their part...then that one goes.

The first one to go will set the pattern for all the others...be consistent...it will work out.
    RustysMom

Answer by RustysMom at 12:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2008