Starting on food, can he have juice and water too?

My baby's doctor said he was ready to start eating baby foods. He said I could also give him table food if I was able to get it to be smooth enough for him. I forgot to ask him if that means I can give him juice and water now as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can give juice but limit it to 4 oz per day and water as you desire. Just keep in mind that all nutrition should still be coming from formula or breast milk.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• No need to give him juice. Full of sugar.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• sure! i give my dd an oz of juice and water mixed in a sippy cup. but all the main nutrition should b from formula or breast milk!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Juice isn't really recommended for any babies. They need to have a good basis on vegetables. Juice is just added and unnecessary sugar.

Water - I didn't give my DD water until she was over 12 months old, and then only 2 ounces at bed time.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 10:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I would offer water in a sippy with solids ( i don't know your baby's age, but I suggest at least 6 mos of age for solids), but not juice this young.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Juice isnot necessary...but many babies enjoy having something different to taste. My fisrt had juice (very diluted) at 6 months. My second didn't have any juice until after 9 months.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 10:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't give your LO juice. In my family we have always offered water though. I use water in a sippy. My LO is 6mo & is still learning to use a sippy. When she gets a drink & it gets all over the place at least i don't have to worry about it stainging anything.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 11:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• depends on how old your baby is. i didn't start with the juice and water until 6 months old. and even then i mixed 1oz water and 1oz juice. so, that's 2oz total per day.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 2:51 AM on Dec. 22, 2010