What's Your Opinion of Fence -Riders?

Fence Rider: Someone who will say anything to avoid rocking the boat. They will go against their own morals and standards to make statements to please others. They are liked by many due to the fact they always have good things to say, but are not trusted by the smart ones who have figured them out. Fence riders are phony butt kissers.

urban dictionary (source)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Wow, waited a whole 6 minutes. That was subtle.

eye rolling

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I know a few of those! Drives me crazy! Those are the types of people who end up as politicians!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• can of worms

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Fence sitters and butt kissers are not the same thing. A fence sitter can remain neutral in an argument but still maintain their morals and beliefs. They simply have the ability to see both sides of an argument. A butt kisser doens't know what they believe or why, they change their opinion to suit that of the majority so that they may remain in popular favor. The terms are not mutually exclusive.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• And someone who sides with the majority to denounce an anti-social person is neither - it's someone who stands up for their beliefs and morals by speaking up and carrying them out in the face of those who only pay lipservice to them. (just thought someone should throw that out there before the rum balls get here)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I guess I always thought a person who was on the fence about something either wasn't sure enough of the facts to make a firm decision either way, or as KristiS says, they just remain neutral. I mean, I'm a person who tries to remain neutral in arguments, but not because I don't want to piss someone one off (don't care if I do that or not) but because I like to try to remember there are two sides to everything.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 11:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• bow downwelcome to cafemom.........

maya123

Answer by maya123 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Rum! Rum! Rum!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• hmmm. . . and fence riders was a term I heard at one of many Christian camps I went to...basically it's someone who says that they believe in God or the Bible, etc, etc and so forth... but doesn't live right. Hmm. maybe like not loving your neighbor as yourself or something. Just throwing that out there.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• my opinion is that you picked the wrong urban dictionary definition to post. when i think of the word "fence rider" i think this definition (from the same site).

someone who takes both sides in a diplomatic confrontation.
    Ex: Two people get into a disagreement. A third person tries to make peace. The third person, the fence rider, will speak good or bad things towards each of the two keeping everything equal. See both sides of the argument. Sometimes used in a negative sense, meaning that you can not depend on this person to support your argument.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2010