i'm so sick of hearing my child's cough. i don't know what to do.

The doctor has given him oral steroids and antibiotics, even an emergency inhaler. He isnt sick. Its just the cold weather triggering his asthma. We don't go out unless its just him going to school and i've been keeping his mouth and nose covered. I don't know what else to do but i feel helpless and his cough is driving me fucking insane. any advice before i pull all my hair out?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Give him honey. 1 tbs of honey will kill the cough for awhile and it's natural.

Honey is a natural cough suppressant and I've found that it works better than all the meds in the world.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My son does that exact same thing....it triggers his asthma

Take vicks vapor rub and rub a good bit on the bottom of his feet....cover with socks....

Sounds seriously strange...but really works!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• i've given him honey twice tonight..it only worked for a moment..of course it wasnt the good stuff. it was store bought
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• mom2twobabes...it works for us too.

Something about how all the organs are linked to the feet.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Sit him in a bathroom with a hot steamy shower and then do the Vick's thing mom2tobabes said. My little bro had asmatic bronchitis

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Do you have a humidifier in his room? That will help. And i agree with the honey, it is great! You can even do some mixed in with warm water and have him sip it for relief.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• my son 4 , has severe asthma , he uses a nebulizer machine twice a day with pulmicort , and albuteral as needed it majorly helps is breathing and if coughing helps alot , try to get a perscription for a nebulizer machine.- if a dx of asthma.
    also break a cough drop in half for him
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I tell people all the time about the vapor rub....but I always add...."its weird and dont ask me how it works but it does" hahahaha thats my disclaimer...lol.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Does he sleep flat on his back? It could be post nasal drip. See if you can roll up a blanket to put under the mattress so he is sleeping in a more reclined position.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• he has outgrown the nebulizer..the doctor says he is big enough to just do the puffer through the chamber now... we have air purifiers all in our house
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2010