The Red Dye Debate

I have always heard about the negative effects of food dyes on children. The biggest one is the Red Dye Debate. Personally, I have seen what happens to my brother when he has drinks with Red Dye (and he's 40+ now & still has a problems with it). I don't usually give my kids red juice, but it does slip in every once in a while, and I do notice a bit of a difference.
Do you limit the intake of these dyes for your children?
If so, do you notice a difference when they have food/drink with them in it?

shareleann

Asked by shareleann at 11:07 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Powdered Country Time Pink Lemonade. My son goes from angel to demon. No lie. And others can tell the difference. The only difference I saw between it and others besides that it was powdery was that it had Red Dye # 40 and Red Dye #40 LAKE. It had 2 kinds...the others don't have LAKE.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• "lake" means that it is a solid ( like in the powder )
    shareleann

Comment by shareleann (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Oh yes. I've only noticed a problem with the red, but try to avoid as many dyes as possible. My oldest goes flippin nuts if she has red.
    Anonymous

• I try to avoid that stuff but I've never really noticed any affect one way or the other with me or my kids. I'm still working down lists with my dd double checking reactions to just about everything else. But I'll take a vegetable derived dye over Red #40 any day of the week.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:15 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My son usually doesnt drink anything with red dye
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:04 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I've never given my kids anything with red dye so I haven't really noticed. But I've heard the horror stories.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 12:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2010