What do I do now?

My son who will be 2 years old has been showing intrest in potty training since he was 18 months old but we didn't push the idea at all. He saw his daddy going potty and wanted to do it so every since last week he did so good potty training. BUT this weekend he absolutely refused to go at all for me. Today he did a couple times but not like last week. What do I do? Push him to keep trying or let him decide? He was doing so good..i just don't know what I am doing wrong? I realize he is a bit younger than most but like I said I didn't push him to potty train. We do stickers, treats and praise to show that he has done such a good job. Any advice?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally I'd just let it be. If you push and he's decided he doesn't want to he'll just dig in his heals and that won't get you anywhere.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 11:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I started working with my daughters and potty training when they were about two. But ultimately they made the decision on when they wanted to stick with it. lol. Kids are funny like that. They really picked onto it at about 3 years and there was no turning back from there. I too did all the rewards (stickers, treats, etc.) I wish that I had known at that time that they were going to decide at 3 they were really going to stick with it, because it would have saved me time and frustration. I worked with them the whole year from age 2 to age 3. I say, just give him time. Its frustrating, I know....but when he is really comfortable with it he will do it. There is no sense in you stressing yourself out over it :) It will be fine. Good Luck. :)
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Have you tried the 3 day method? If you are interested, I have the ebook. It requires you to be very consistent, and very patient. It recommends doing it around 22 months. We did it at 25 months, and we had wonderful success. It's exhausting, but ABSOLUTELY worth it! YOU CAN DO THIS!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Maybe have daddy drink lots of water and show him how its done since he liked daddy doing it maybe he will feel like o well dadddy can do it so can i :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 2:33 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• we push our kids to eat veggies, act appropiate, be nice to others,...but no one these days wants to push pottie training, I dont get it.
    He already shows he can, therefor if he likes to do so cause of daddy, he will do so for daddy, dad pottie trains when he is at home and when he cant be home he calls to check progress and/or asks when in gets home and brings a surprise gift, candy, toy stickers,....... daddy should ask son as well as mommy how pottie trianing went for the day, let LO know daddy needs son and momy to give god report for surprise then the child will know daddy/mommy are a team an dhe will go for mommy when daddy isnt around, with any luck anyway.
    My son showed interests early on and we took it from there.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 8:17 AM on Dec. 21, 2010