Would you study a religion outside your faith?

njmommy2boys

Asked by njmommy2boys at 10:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Absolutely! I took a course in comparative religious studies in university and it was very eye-opening. I actually practice a different 'religion' than the one I was raised with and might not have found my path if I had not actively been seeking information on spirituality/philosophy/religion. We are a multi-faith family and I want my children exposed to other beliefs and couldn't honestly talk to them if I didn't have any idea what was out there!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Yes. I think everyone should study other religions to some degree. Too many people make ignorant, uneducated remarks about other religions when they have no clue what they are talking about. Knowledge is Power.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Yes
    JMGouge

Answer by JMGouge at 10:56 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• How can you understand the differences in all of us it you do not learn what another person(religious or not) is ALL about. How can you possibly believe that only one religion is right? even the letters from the bible were written with different twists on the same story because the recipients of the letters were going through different things. To some Jesus is there salvation from oppression, to some salvation from there lusts, you have to explain things differently to get the bottom line message through to them. Different religions are the same. The bottom line message is that there is a God in heaven. So what if different people think you have to do or say different things to be with him/her. It's like hearing the same news story reported by several media types, it will be a little different from each one but the bottom line is still the same.
    spencersgirl

Answer by spencersgirl at 11:20 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Already have and still do!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I don't pick up books on other religions or anything, but I accept and respect everyone's religions and their right to practice them. I would never tell someone that they're wrong for what they believe in. I expect the same respect towards me.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:35 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Sure, why not? I stand firm in my beliefs.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• After exploring many religions I have found that I embrace all different beliefs and I am more of a spiritual person rather than a religious person.
    I was curious as to how many others have or do study other beliefs and what there opinions are...
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 11:44 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I would and I have. I find much to respect about other faiths. It hasn't changed my faith any - if anything, studying other traditions has strengthened my own. Just because I don't believe the same as other religions, doesn't mean that I can't understand why others believe as they do.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 11:55 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• yep....
    getyoung

Answer by getyoung at 12:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2008