broken clavicel?

anyone have their baby endure a broken clavicel at birth? i think my son may have. 2 days after he was born i noticed he was painful when picking him up. a few days later realized he wasnt using his left arm as much as his right. i spoke to my pediatrician over the phone and she said it sounds like one and just to bind his arm. any other ideas to help him? should i have him sleep on his back? i usually put him on his sides.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Your pediatrician suggested you bind his arm without even checking the baby out first? If so, time for a new Pediatrician AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. A broken clavicle wouldn't interfere with his arm movement like you're describing.
    4heartbeats

Answer by 4heartbeats at 12:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I had a friend who's baby broke his clavicle during birth and I believe there wasn't much they could do about it. That said, scour Google for info and ask around. Hopefully someone has experience with this. Poor thing!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:12 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• A broken clavicle wouldn't interfere with his arm movement like you're describing. <-- sorry but that's not true.

usually kids that age have very "green" bones - like green stick they have a lot of bend. It takes a lot to break the bone. But if it is broken he may not want to move his arm at all, and he'll avoid it. I'd go have him checked out to make sure this is actually the problem. It may also he neurological. Get a second opinion!!

Babiesshould ALWAYS be put to sleep on their backs until they can turn over on their own!!! Yes, Back to sleep!! Especially if he has pain in his arm and shoulder!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:35 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Well my answer was based upon my own experiences, I haven't actually researched the subject. My daughter had a broken clavicle that the Dr inflicted on her during delivery. I didn't know until she was 2 months, she moved normally and never complained. When arms aren't moving like normal, it makes me think of nerve damage delivery. I found the clavicle was broken when she lifted her head up high (she had lots of baby fat around her neck that disguised the broken clavicle). It was protruding, it looked ugly and painful. I took her to the Dr the same day, they gave her an xray to confirm and examine the placement of the bones. They said nothing was to be done with it, that broken clavicles heal on their own. Sorry I didnt have enough time to elaborate on my first answer, I was needed elsewhere :)
    4heartbeats

Answer by 4heartbeats at 1:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I meant, nerve damage from delivery...
    4heartbeats

Answer by 4heartbeats at 1:49 AM on Dec. 21, 2010