Side ache and running

I often get a side ache when I run, and I was reading today that exhaling when you step with your left foot can help, as well as exhaling forcefully. Has this worked for anyone? What else has worked for you, enough that you can finish a run? Thanks!

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 12:11 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I have gotten an ache in my side like that when I run ever since I was a child, my son gets them too and now I finding out more and more people have the same problem. I have never heard of that left foot thing...I'll have to try it next time.
    Triscuit

Answer by Triscuit at 12:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• i dont kno about running, but i kno that when u are working out, u should exhale when u are pushing (whether it be with pushing up in a push-up or lifting weights). a side ache can also be from eating too soon before ur workout. good luck. hope that helped
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 12:15 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think its due to breathing hard, but I am not sure.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:45 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It has to do with the ligaments holding the liver to the diaphragm. The pain comes from the jostling of your very heavy liver, which you can't control, and exhaling draws the diaphragm up, so stepping on the right foot while exhaling is said to make it worse. I thought it was quite interesting! I read a few different articles to try to get some ideas, and they all suggested this.
    musicpisces

Comment by musicpisces (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Dec. 21, 2010