Can i get a flu shot while 24 weeks pregnant?

misty91

Asked by misty91 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• yes im 23 weeks and i just got one. My doctor suggested it
    sep_10_07

Answer by sep_10_07 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• The flu shot is an inactivated vaccine, which means it contains no live virus. Since it does not contain a live virus, experts say that it is safe for pregnant women. Studies have shown that there have been no ill effects to the mother or fetus.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Yes. I had mine at 17 weeks. Make sure you get the low/no mercury version. My OB didn't have it in office, so I had to go to the public health department.
    emubren

Answer by emubren at 11:12 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Yes you can I got it at 24 wks. Just a caution I got really sick off it, never got sick off the mist but the shot I did. Swollen around the injection site, my whole body hurt and in turn it gave me round ligament pain. So I have been dealing with that for the last week. And the only thing that they can give me is Tyenol. doesnt help. So just be careful.
    samiemommy

Answer by samiemommy at 12:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Yes you can. I have never gotten the flu shot and my OB was trying to bully me into getting one when I was pregnant with my son. Yea, that didn't happen :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 2:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• There is a certain one that you have to get and your doc can give it to you. They should give one to you at one of your appointments, but I would ask just to make sure you will get one.
    FertMert

Answer by FertMert at 3:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2008