He can't relax....my poor baby!

Please any suggestions.....My 9 yr old son has tourette's and i can't get him to stop ticing and sleep. I posted about this the other day and not many responses. However tonight it is BAD! He is having a tic where he is jerking his head back that has made his neck so sore he cries when he does it....and clearing his throat tic that has made his throat sore. I have given warm bath and massage which usually helps some. But tonight it hasn't. Put on relaxation music and he wanted it off cause he said it made it worse. My 13 yr old is in there rubbing his back right now but he is just crying so hard(not like my son at all!!!!). He goes back to ped. neuro. tomorrwo but please i am in tears how can i help him relax and rest/ I can't give meds for throat other than lozenge cause it will worsen the tics.

harris4

Asked by harris4 at 12:39 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Oh gosh doll that's awful. My DD has bad spasticity & too much muscle tone, so I know where you're coming from. Maybe try some soothing scented lotion with the massage, like the baby lavender & chamomile? That always helps my DD. Maybe a heating pad for his neck? I wish I could help more! & I feel bad even suggesting this, but if it won't worsen his tics, have you thought about some cold medicine? Something with a sleep aid & a pain reliever in it, to help ease the pain & help him rest. Hugs doll, I hope you ALL get some rest!

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 12:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• You're very welcome, I hope it helps a little bit! I also had another thought- if the tics aren't too bad for him to eat a little, an ice pop might help his throat. Or if he can't handle holding it right now, maybe a slushie to sit beside him that he could sip through a straw?

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 12:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• sending prayers to your son tonight, I hope he can rest. hugs momma
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:17 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I am sorry I can't help you. I wish there was something I could do or some advice I could give. I will keep you in my prayers Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:44 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• KA91....yes believe me for that baby i did consider cold and sleep its just that he is severe adhd and it actually has opposit effect on him........climbing up walls!......but heating pad DUH...it didnt even cross my mind .....tysvm!
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Oh gosh i think he is out. He passed out with the popsicle in his mouth but i am not moving it! He took up my bed sideways and i will gladly sleep on couch! lol.....tysvm and another great idea with popsicle~ka91~ i am going to write these down because when he goes through this i lose all rationality and panic!....lol thnks guys. now i just pray he is able to sleep all night
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 1:22 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I am not sure I would agree with the heating pad.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Give him a massage like on his back and legs and arms and his neck.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2010