Formula question...

So I know that your not supposed to put MORE formula to water obviously. If your doing 6 ounces you put 3 scoops. Ok. Well can you put MORE water? Like 3 scoops to 8 ounces. So pretty much water it down? DD is getting up 4 times a night because of teething and wants a bottle. If I dont water it down and give her the 8 ounces she doesnt drink all of it. Only about 6 ounces. But if I give her watered down formula she drinks all of it and actually slept longer lastnight.....ugh confusing sorry. Please odnt bash me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I once heard on the news this lady was watering down her kids formula to save it and he actually was hospitalized for "drowning in water" but y dont you try cereal i gave my kids cereal in there bottles when they became restles and they would sleep but i wasnt a frequant cereal user so they werent use to it but if watering it down works for you check with the peditrican and see what they say! BUT MOMMY ALWAYS NO BEST :) GUD LUCK
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 1:09 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Sounds like that is working for a nite time bottle for now. Just do not watter down babys day time botlles.
    genevieve55

Answer by genevieve55 at 1:09 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• No, absolutely not. Formula is made in a specific balance and too much water can and WILL cause water intoxication which can lead to seizures and death.

Your child *shouldn't* be taking 8oz bottles... their stomachs simply aren't that big. Forcing her to take more volume than she actually needs can harm her in the long run and lead to chronic overeating problems.

She's a baby. Waking is what they *DO*. It will pass with time and I know it's rough if you actually have to get up and make a bottle... but please don't risk her health. It's just not worth it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:38 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Talk this over with your pediatrician too
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:05 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• So make the 6 oz bottle with 3 scoops and get up with her every time. I'm not bashing, but doing it the other way CAN be bad for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Oh, and NEVER put cereal in your baby's bottle!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• First of all LEANNNE C Im not forcing her! Shes hungry. Why is it that when she is done with a 6 oz bottle she screams for more. Why the hell would you say im forcing her. Secondly Anon yes I have been getting up for the last month 3 or 4 times a night for a month. Its not easy. Lastnight she was up every hour. I am purely exhausted to the point where I am throwing up today. Also having a mental break down. I dont know hwy I bother asking questions on here. I feel like you all are more rude then anything.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• How old is your daughter? If she is over 3 months I would advise some cereal before bed. My son started on solids at three months and wasn't sleeping through the night. 2-3 tablespoons of cereal, and then a bottle really did help him sleep. I wouldn't advise watering it down though. Have you tried a pacifier? Sometimes they're not actually hungry, but just want to sooth. If this continues, I would definitely ask a doctor for advice.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• she is 10 months..... paci yes. Rice in bottle did not help what so ever. I did ask the doc she said babies wake up and want to play. Deal with it. So Im trying lol!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2010