Is marriage a civil right or a civil privilege?

I know what I feel it should be, but for life of me right now can't come up with a single point to back up my opinion. Too much holiday baking I would imagine. So I throw it to you lovely ladies to rip the topic apart.

Liansmommie

Asked by Liansmommie at 12:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the Supreme Court case was Loving vs. Virginia:

"Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival...."
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• In Loving v Virginia the USSC said it was "One of the basic civil rights of man", I'll stick with their interpretation on this one.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I would call it a civil right. My right to marry my husband and his privlige to have me as his wife. :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I don't consider marriage civil anything. I consider it a gift from God with some pretty heavy promises made. Thinking of it as 'civil' reduces it to some kind of legal contract (in my mind) which degrades it. It makes it too easy to get out of if it is 'civil'. I got married in a church, by a preacher in front of "God and these witnesses". That makes it more than 'civil' to me.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:39 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Privilege in the eyes of the government because unless you obtain a license from your local county register of deeds, it will not be recognized as a LEGAL marriage.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:20 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• According to the Supreme Court, it's a right.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 9:59 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• The Supreme Court ruled in like 1970something that it is a basic human right.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:09 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• That's the one, Pam. 1967.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 10:28 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• What's more PERSONAL and PRIVATE than the spouse you choose to spend your life with

Th government has no business governing that

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:24 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Jen, Guess you have never heard of the marriage tax then. LOL
    I don't think of marriage as a right at all. I mean, you can cook chicken for dinner but it's not considered a right. I uppose we can consider anything and everything we do a right but that's not how I think of it.
    Marriage is a choice. If you have the guy and if you can afford the marriage license then you can choose to marry.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:27 AM on Dec. 21, 2010