Breastfeeding...

My son will be 4mths at the end of this month this is my first time I exclusively breastfeed so I have questions that way I can prepare myself for his 6mths when he can start baby food how did or do you deal with the situation of breastfeeding and baby food I know he still needs his milk from mommy how about sippy cups please I need help that way I know what to expect for the up coming months thanks for any advice.

babycakeschris

Asked by babycakeschris at 1:20 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 6 months you are just introducing them to foods, so it isn't like they are eating full meals. Just let him try some after you breastfeed him. Once he wants more, I breastfed 4 times a day and then did food in between.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Puzzled by PP's answer.... but anyway...

Breast first, solids after. That's the *main* rule. Everything else is really individual... what time of day, how many times a week, to start with purees or finger foods, etc... everyone will be different. Do what you feel is best and what works for you. Just ALWAYS offer the breast first so solids do not replace milk.

Offer water in a sippy during meals if you'd like to, it's not required. He probably won't get the hang of it and actually drink anything for several months, though, so that's totally normal.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:34 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I just started pumping & using bottles & sippy cups about a month before I introduced solids, in case DD didn't like the bottle. I would give her a bottle of milk with her meals, & feed her from me in between. It's pretty individual, I think... just go with what feels right to you. Hugs, doll!

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 1:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Wait until 6 months. It will reduce the risk of food allergies later. The latest recommendations with breastfed babies is to start with meats, then veggies, then fruits. Cereal is really unnecessary, and doesn't offer a lot of nutrients. We started with sweet potatoes, then chicken (although he was EBFed, he wasn't a huge fan of the meats, but we kept at it). You can even make your own food if you want to.
    I totally agree that each feeding should start at the breast. Solids should be supplemental. You can add water in a sippy if you want to, but it's not required. Again, breast first, then the water. We used a Camelbak water bottle instead of a sippy, and DS has really liked that. He's 2 now.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:42 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I agree with you waiting until at least 6 months. From there, just follow cues. Always nurse first, and then go ahead and offer some solids. Purees if you like, or soft, small pieces of food he can self feed. Either way, small portions, and always after nursing. Your baby will help you figure it out too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:26 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Once the baby can hold things and manipulate them you can introduce a sippy cup. The mom I sit for introduced it around 11 months and just set it out with water or milk in it and let the baby explore it. It took him about four weeks to master it. You have plenty of time. I agree with other posters on breastfeeding first and then introduce foods. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Nurse first, solids after. Solids are merely "dessert." Breastmilk remains the main meal all the way to the first birthday, so if he takes very little in solids (or even nothing) that's not a problem.

You *can* start a cup now... remove the spill proof valve, tip, baby sips. Baby cannot hold it but that's fine. Still early for baby to be left alone with a bottle or cup.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:41 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I never put breastmilk into a cup at all. I just would stick to my usual nursing schedule and when the rest of us sit down to eat, baby would sit in the highchair and eat. Sometimes they will eat, sometimes not, and sometimes I would just nurse instead of battle with the food. I put water in a sippy when it was time to learn about a cup. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 3:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2010