Need help getting my 10 year old ADHD son to go to school.

Seems to be suffering from anxiety/separation disorder that has suddenly arisen after a weeklong visitation with dad.

Refused to go to school and when I take him, he screams, crys, kicks, bites, etc. Says he is afraid that something bad will happen to me.

Have team of counselors, working with school, etc., but nothing is helping. He is now getting in-home instruction by me and his teacher comes for 1 hour per day.

donah

Asked by donah at 1:21 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Why dont you tell him you will sit with him half the day but mommy has to work an try showing him your ok maybe call the class 2x a day and talk to him maybe write him notes in his book or give him a different picture of you & him everyday to show him he can look at the picture when he misses you :) gud luck
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 1:31 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I can say it has nothing to do with ADHD and more that something happened at dad's house. Talk with your son about what happened at dads/ Did dad say something about you that upset or scared your son? Talk to his counselor about getting him in for more counseling for the anxiety. This is not normal for a 10 year old and something needs to be done to help him before he develops agoraphobia and can't ever leave the house.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I agree with tyfry - something was said or happened at Dad's house and he's terrified for your safety. This is NOT normal and before there are ANY more visits with Dad - you need to find out what happened. I would also talk to your Dr. and a child Psychologist and child Psychiatrist. Although I believe it is related to what happened at Dad's house, your son needs help in letting you know what happened. HUGS to both you AND your son!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Is it at all possible that he's upset at being away from you for a whole week while spending time at his dad's house? I think he needs to be reassured that you will be there for him when he gets home from school until he gets over his fear of your not being there for him. Now here's just a suggestion only. Why not give him a cell phone to take to school to call you when he absolutely has the need to and talk him through it all so he can go to school and put his fears to rest at the same time.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:18 PM on Dec. 24, 2010