Parents being hypocrite's?

I often find myself punishing my son and my daughter for things I've done as a kid/teenager. Messy room, rolling of the eyes, HORRRRRRRIBLE grades, being messy and most of all, being lazy.

I want my kids to be so much more than that and want to teach them responsibility.

Do any of you feel that you're sometimes being a Hypocrite when you're doing your parenting??

AtHomeMommy-3

Asked by AtHomeMommy-3 at 1:22 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Of course I do!! Not only about the stuff I did at their age that I now won't tolerate, but also about stuff I currently do and tell them not to do (i.e., swearing).

But I just remind myself that I am the adult now, and that I can make better parenting decisions by learning from what didn't work for my parents with me.
    donah

Answer by donah at 1:27 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• You have to if you want better for them! I always say o man i hope my kids dont turn out like us and little by little the me and her dad starts poking out but we lived our lives and we no right from wrong so we have to be hypocritical at times to keep them on the right track as long as they dont no mommy was the same way they wil understand its for the best keep up the good mommy work :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I don't think that trying to correct your child from making the same mistakes that you did at their age is being hypocritical. If you were telling them not to smoke with a cigarette in your hand, that would be hypocritical. But the things you did as a teen and learned from...not hypocritical.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Not for things like that, those are all things that I did that I KNEW I wasn't supposed to do. I'll punish my son for things like that just to make him a better person, now if he asked to do something like dye his hair blue or something and I told him now then I'd totally be a hypocrite

onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• not for simple things, it just depends really but for eye rolling no, bad grades (if they gave it their all then no) , I am layed back when it comes to my kids and they are really good kids, I always get compliments on how well behaved they are. and such sweethearts. but I don't judge anyway for the way they parent to each their own I say!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 1:32 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• nope, i got punished for it to.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 6:06 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Ya sometimes
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2010