When your children become adults are you......?

going to be quick to get them out, like your 18, or your 21, leave now

or

Will you let them stay as long as they need, say they go to a local college, or want time to just relax, or travel, etc

just wondering, my mom booted me when I was 16, well I wanted to leave. my SO was out @ 18 and moved to go to college, But we were talking and were thinking, as of now, we want our son to stay until he can stand on his own two feet, even if it means his whole college career and then some.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 3:03 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• My oldest is attending college while living at home with us. It seems to be working except that now his grades were less than what we expected, but that's another can of worms we'll have to deal with.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 4:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• All three of mine left for college and they all came back, until they were ready to go on their own. My 23 year old son is the only one left, and it will only be a matter of time before he will be able to go on his own. They were never pressured into leaving or staying, my home will always be open to them no matter how old they get.

Answer by older at 11:46 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• my kids could stay until they could stand on their own two feet. right now my 20 year old is living with me she has a three year old and is pregnant with her second. shes no where ready t lie on her own
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 3:09 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Mine left on their own at 18.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:10 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Mine can stay forever as far as I'm concerned! I already have plans in my new house to have my basement set up so that it's like an apt for my kids to stay with their spuses if need be and through college and such. I will be doing them a huge favor in saving up $ for a down payment on a house. In return I hope they will let me live with them when I'm old lol.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:13 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't mind my children staying until they are ready to move out as long as it's in a resonable time and they are responsible (no later than 25). I want them to graduate college and find a good job. If they don't finish High school (God forbid) they will be finding jobs and supporting themselves until they can move out on their own. If they ARE in school and it lasts until they are 25 or longer then we will of course let them stay until they graduate and find a job. Other than that I don't think my husband and I would put up with it.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 3:14 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• "spouses" sorry. What are spuses? lol
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:14 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I'm going to let mine stay with me as long as he needs to.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 3:14 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think we'll let them stay though college if they want, and a little beyond, but I have a friend who is 31 with no real future that lives at home. He's switched majors more times than I can count, and is laden with student loan debt with no degree. He's thrilled he just got promoted to shift supervisor at Starbucks, where he's worked for at least 6 years! He doesn't pay his mom rent, and at one point, she had all 3 adult kids living at home, including her daughter's boyfriend and their son! I won't be that mom!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:17 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I loved my parents rule and will do it with my kids- you can stay as long as you are in school, or paying rent and living by the rules (reasonable). Our kids will be able to stay as long as they need to. But I had to laugh when I saw a show that said the teenage years prep you for when it's time to get the kids out of the house. As far as I'm concerned, I never want my boys to leave! But they are still little =)
    yo_ho

Answer by yo_ho at 3:20 AM on Dec. 21, 2010