SAHM: Do your children have chores?

I just went from being a working mom to being a stay at home mom about a month ago. When I worked I used to have my children do some chores: 12 y.o did dishes, 9 y.o cleaned kitchen table and picked up after dinner, 6 y.o cleaned counters, fed cats, and the two older girls cleaned their rooms. Now that I am home I feel like I should do it all. If you are a SAHM do your children still have chores? How old are they and what do they do?

jlemaycox

Asked by jlemaycox at 11:07 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• Don't ruin a good thing Mom! It's healthy for them do chores. If you let up you will end up doing it all and then when you've had enough of it and give them those chores back it will be like pulling tooth and nail. I'm a SAHM for 15 years now and my son's have had chores since they were 5 years old. they both work now so I lightened up a little but they no longer get allowance. They do their chores because they are a responsible member of our family. Ya.....I get looks for that one...lol
    They used to alternate doing the dinner dishes but they are at work some of the time so now they just help. They still feed the dogs and take out the trash and keep their rooms clean. Two months ago I showed them how to do their laundry...this was mainly for my oldest who will be off to college next year.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I have been both plus a WAHM-- I believe children need chores! My 11 y/o DD waters the plants, tends to "her" dogs, puts up her clothes, sweeps the kitchen floor and empties the dishwasher, etc. She also sweeps the patio, picks up the mail on her way in from school, my goodness, when I think about it she does a lot of things just from training. She also has chance to "earn" extras when she wants extra things-- cleaning the cars out, helping me on projects, going through her toys for resale or donations. I can honestly say I have not had to pick up her room in a couple of years. We are working on cooking lately and she loves it!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 11:31 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• WHAT??? You are letting you kids get by w/ nothing.. I"m sorry but I believe ALL kids should have chores.. It teaches them responsibility.. They NEED that.. What would they do if mom wasn't around to do it for them?? We as parents are here to teach are kids how to be when they are adults.. IF we don't teach them when they are kids, its too late when they get grown.. JMO.. My 15yr daughter washing clothes, dishes, dust, vacuums and cleans her room and bathroom.. She gets an allowance and she earns it.. My 19yr son works nights, pays me rent mows the yard, takes out the trash and anything else I ask him to do.. To me it ALL about teaching them responsibility... JMO...
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 11:39 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My kids (ages 2, 4, and 5) all have chores. They're ALL responsible for their rooms. My 4 year old washes the table and helps set it, my 5 year old feeds and waters the cats. They all put their clothing away in the dressers. As they get older, we'll change them around.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• yes and mine are 3 1/2 and 6. It is important for them to learn responsibility. It is also important for them to be included in the family which includes chores.
    Mine are responsible for their laundry (putting it in hampers) putting toys away, cleaning off table and my oldest sets the table for dinner. Oh and it's on their chore list to clean up after themselves too.
    If they didnt do these things I would be cleaning non stop, I pretty much go all day as it is and I have a 4mo old
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 12:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Yes they do chores! They are responsible for their room plus they have to do some minor things around the house such as clear the table, wipe down the table, put dishes in the sink, vacuum, dust and sweep....

They are still learning how to do these things....so often I have to at the end of the day, while they are SLEEPING, redo those things :)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Why would you stop having them do chores? Just because you are a SAHM doesn't mean that you become everyone's maid. Chores are good for kids, they teach responsibility.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2008