End of World -- December 21, 2012?

I keep hearing so many that truly believe the end of the world is coming in 4 years. What is this information based on? Have you done your research? If you are that concerned why are you having children, purchasing homes and such?

njmommy2boys

Asked by njmommy2boys at 11:13 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Other than the Mayan calander stoping on that day...

There is some guy that plotted the I Ching against a timeline, and it stops around that same time. Plus Nostradamus and Cayce, and some other oracular types supposedly have some "radical change" predictions, depending on how you read them, for the same time frame.

Additionally, according to NASA, the sun is due to shift polarity in 2012 (which is no big deal, it does it all the time, last time was in 2000 or 2001)...

Also there is some conspiracy BS about the earth shifting polarity in 2012 (which happens, but not often, and its not predictable like it is for the sun, and we have never observed it occuring before, so if/when it does, we don't know exactly what will happen--though there are some ideas) in response to some rare planetary alignment or something---but considering no REPUTABLE scietinfic organization is talking about it, I wouldn't worry too much!
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I saw something on Discovery Channel about this. Its based on a Mayan calendar.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:17 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• lol, This has been around for decades.

It's based on the Mayan calender "ending". In truth, it's bullshit. Our calender "ends" every year on December 31st. The Mayan calender is set up differently and runs like a sort of speedometer. On that day in 2012 that's just the day that their 'speedometer' resets to zero, much like it would in a car.

Think about Y2K and how everyone went apeshit over that...and Y2K came and went without a whisper. You don't seem too worried...but if you are, don't be. NOBODY can predict the "end of the world". Remember, EVERY SINGLE prediction anyone has ever made has failed.

And besides...if the Mayans could predict the "end of the world"...why couldn't they predict THEIR demise by the Spanish? I see a fatal flaw in their plans.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:25 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• NOONE knows when the end is coming!!! Except for the LORD!! You can guess all you want, ppl can say all that they want BUT still it doesn't change the FACT, NOONE really knows.. The Lord says plan as though you will be here forever BUT be prepared to die tomorrow..
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 11:27 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• caitxrawks ~ Exactly my point!! I don't think many people really understand that this is what the predictions are based on. I think less people would be so quick to start claiming people the antichrist, etc if they new this was just the end of a calendar. And just like our calendar, it will roll over.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 11:29 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Also, many people predict that a "change" will occur on that day. Some say that the sun will shift polarities, but it does that every couple of years anyway without us noticing (I think I heard someone say that it happened last in 2000 or 2001). Some say it's going to be a new period of love and understanding and that we're going to have to come together as the human race.

But yeah. Those are just people "saying" things. Believe whatever you want.
    I've always wondered what you said myself...if people TRULY believed this crap, WHY would they be having babies and bitching over elections and stuff? If they really believed it, why would they continue to live as they do?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:30 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• The 2012 date has to do with the end of the Mayan calendar. Though my understanding is that at this point the calendar basically 'recycles'- the way ours ends in December and then resumes again in January. Personally I don't think that any particular culture/religion has an idea when the world will end- if ever.

I also wonder why people who truly believe the end is near go about normal life on a daily basis... if I thought the world was ending soon I would quit my job, cash in my retirement savings, and go to Disneyland! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Who cares about the end of the world.......What we should care about is our relationship with God!
    getyoung

Answer by getyoung at 1:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• no one knows when He's comming. It's so funny that the Bible says that, yet people choose to believe the Mayan calendar is the be all end all. My hubby's in Seminary, and my dad Still believes that 2012 is it. It's too funny.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 1:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Only God knows when the end times are going to be but I do believe we are living in them right now.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2008