Is a Nintendo DS to much for a 3 year old?

My soon to be DH has a 3 year old from his first marriage. He has primary and she gets her every other weekend. To stop confusion and the loss/misplaciment of toys and clothes, they desided to have some matching toys. His ex plans to get her a Nintendo DS, because it has a Dora game. I think she is just too young for it, and have been a full supporter of the Leapster 2. I figured I'd get some input.

dustbunni

Asked by dustbunni at 4:10 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Technology

• Leapfrog- I cannot say enough good things about it. Nintendo may be a little educational but it wont match Leapfrog. Leapfrog alone has taught my dd to count and recognize letters. She was saying 1-10 and A-Z just before her 2nd birthday. She often points at letters and numbers on t-shirts and spells them.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think a ds would be too much for a 3 yr old. My son is 4 and I wouldnt get him one. Not because I dont think he couldnt figure it out, but because thats an expensive toy and I wouldnt want it to get broken. But maybe a leap frog or leapster because those are learning tools
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My 5 year old will be getting a ds for Christmas and her games are the sesame street number and alphabet games, but leapfrog is a great idea too, I'm debating on swapping her ds out for the leapfrog as well.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 4:19 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• a nintendo ds is ridiculous for a 3 year old in my opinion. that is way way way over the top
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 4:19 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I feel that way too, as well as her dad. I feel the leapster is much more for her, just due to the fact it is all about learning. She is extremely smart, and loves to learn new things. Her mom's agruiment is that "The DS has Dora!" but, I kinda feel like if we got her a leapster and her mom got her a DS, then I think she wouldn't really care if the DS stayed at mom's and the Leapster at Dad's. Plus, leapster has dora I am sure.
    dustbunni

Comment by dustbunni (original poster) at 4:34 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I purchased an iPod touch for my 3 year old this Christmas. I have an iPhone and downloaded so many apps for him. Flash cards, countings games, letter games, phonics, etc. I think the DS has great games for little kids as well. I don't think it's over the top at all. My son is also getting a leapster for Christmas from my mom.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 4:56 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Yes 3 young for a DS I agree with the Leapfrog much suited to her age.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:08 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think she's too young. I think kids need to learn to use their imagination before they start playing with toys that play for them. JMO.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My mom got my then 6 & 7 year olds a DS for Christmas last year - they hardly knew what to do with it at first. My 3 & 5 year olds are totally clueless about it, no matter how much we try to help them - and we have only very easy games for it. Stand your ground, a DS is NOT a toy for a 3 yo!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I would not get a DS for a 3 yr old...a 7 yr old maybe...
    she will probably destroy it or get completely frustrated with it or both
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2010