Does anyone have astigmatism and wear contact lenses?

I have it in both eyes, one is a bit worse. I've worn contacts for the last 12 years and I despise glasses. Anyways, I see better than 20/20 according to the eye dr, but I don't in reality because of the astigmatism. Words and numbers that are like "G" and "C" often look the same and "7" and "1" especially if its far away or the text is close together or small. I think there are contacts available for astigmatism but I need to know if anyone has used them and the outcome. I have to go to the eye dr next month for more contacts/eye exam.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 4:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Health

• Yes, they cost more and they are not as comfortable as the regular contacts.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 4:28 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Ughh don't tell me that!!!! It's not the cost that concerns me because we have really good insurance but I despise uncomfortable contact lenses. I wear the ones that are super hydrated that you can wear a month and sleep in lol.
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 4:41 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I use Acuvue Oaysis. They're completely comfortable.

I have an astigmatism in my left eye.

While they are much more expensive, they work great. If you're interested in colored contacts, you're much more limited. I think there are only 5-6 colors you can pick from.

The PP might not have a good time with hers, because she might need disposables. I replace mine every week. My eyes do tend to get dry, and replacing them often really helps with the problem.

As you can imagine, disposable contacts that are for an astigmatism are even more expensive than normal disposables.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:42 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Insurance has never covered my contacts, nor my contact fitting.
    Razelda

• I use disposables. In fact I am switching back to colored. I am waiting for the box from my doctor's office.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 5:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I've never worn colored, I like my natural color.
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 5:21 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• SweetLoveofMine I recently got a new pair and was going through the same thing I honestly thought I would never wear contacts again bc my eyes had changed so much from when I was a teen now in my 40's I gave it another shot 2 wks. ago I went to a new doctor (they are more up to date with things) and as soon as I tried a pair on OMG! I was so happy they stay focus they didn't shift Any others were so bad and annoying it actually made me unhappy and did not want to where them any longer. Well these contacts I love and am very satisfied I have very bad astigmatism and they were able to make me happy.. I went to Todays Vision but I am sure if u can go 2 any other place they will help you I was going to the same place for yrs. my dr. Bless her heart she was still back in the day with technology :/ GL
    Oh my contacts are soft and gas permeable and he told me I can sleep with mine bc they r breathable oxgen can actually flow thru.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:05 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• no im sorry i dont
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:06 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• They are tinted a little so you can see them just in case you drop them. They are not the cheap kind you see in magazines. Those are from the mid 80's. GL.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 6:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Like Razdelda, I've got a slight astigmatism in my left eye and I also use the Acuview Oasis. They are very comfortable. They are a bit mroe expensive, but completely worth it, in my opinion. My insurance covers about half of the cost. For a year's supply, I think they were about $230.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:17 AM on Dec. 21, 2010