How can I get my dog to stop pulling on leash?

He is training to be service animal for diabetes and yes, I already know its my fault, something I am doing wrong, he isnt first dog I have trained however first large breed, he is 1/2 poodle-standard, and 1/2 golden retriever, named bear, looks like abear, strong like a bear, he is one year old as of last aug.- ( my daughter had a pit/boxer 2 yrs old that pulled on her out of excitement but stopped doing that to me, he walked very nicely for me also till he saw her again then he wanted to run to her but still maintained somewhat,--- my dog either is still too young or something, he isnt dumb, he is too smart sometimes and Im not gonna call certifier again to hear its just me.

EDTED:

I am making him walk behind me and -oooh does he hate it, I have short leash and hold it behind me so he has to be in back, if he keeps pulling that head to one side or other, I stop,push it behind me,... he even tried putting and keeping his head between my legs, so I push him back again,- he just has to learn to trust me, he doesnt need to see everyone/everything first!-A set of blinders over his eyes probably would work best,LOL.

The more he tries to see around me, the slower I walk to keep his head behind, he is getting the idea that I just may be more stubborn than him,LOL.--The neighbor woman knows what I am trying ot do, she saw us and tried to hurry to the door but had ot get tings out of car first and she said "oh, poor bear, he just wants to see what going on." Then she laughed cause she is a horse trainer, she knows some animals are just stubborn.

kingkongsmom

Asked by kingkongsmom at 5:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Pets

• I know I need to get another harness also , he likes to chew them up but only thing ever worked well was a nose lead but he hates those and isnt what a service dog should have to wear actually, I want him to walk nice on harness or leash.
    kingkongsmom

Comment by kingkongsmom (original poster) at 5:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Put him/her on a short leash. YOU have to lead the dog where to go. I started my pit about 3weeks ago on a leash and when she'd pull, I'd pull back to where I wanted her to be. She now walks on the leash where I want her to go. Every now and again, she'll test me and tries pulling again, I shorten her leash again.
    mockitaz

Answer by mockitaz at 5:56 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My dog used to pull quite a lot when she was on leash. My best friend is a dog trainer, and she gave me advice very much like the above answer. She showed me how to shorten the leash and force her to walk beside me until she would walk nicely on her own. If she tried to pull ahead, we put both hands on the leash and pulled her right back to where she needed to be. It took awhile, but eventually she became easier to walk...oh, and I didn't seek advice with this dog til she was over 5 years old, so it might not take so long with a younger and less stubborn pup.
    TigerofMu

Answer by TigerofMu at 6:24 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• younger yes, less stubborn no way,LOL. He is almost perfect with everything else and he knows I dont want to be pulled/jerked, we do the shorter leash and pull back, we have done treat rewards, stop and wait a minute,... he even does walk nice once in a blue moon but its very rare, he also knows I get so tired of it , I just stop, turn and head home / try again later... and he will stay close to me or within a few feet off leash but he cant be off leash here and we have worked with walking nice on leash since begining , he knows off leash if he goes too far, I will call him back, leash him and go inside an dhe will come even knowing what is gonna happen, he even knows now pulling and 3 tries to stop and we just go in. I would love to go out longer/further on days I can but, I cant be pulled and/or pull, retrain all the way there and back long distances.---Just gonna have to make it a several times a day try.
    kingkongsmom

Comment by kingkongsmom (original poster) at 6:43 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• wondering if every hour on the hour will pull my arm out of socket,LOL or every two hours, I hate the cold but he loves it and LO loves it so I want to have them enjoy it. Plus its a health benefit to have me out walking daily.
    kingkongsmom

Comment by kingkongsmom (original poster) at 6:46 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I'd put him on a Gentle leader head halter that is a great tool to teach dogs to walk nicely on a leash.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• KyliesMom5~~I've heard of that head halter and have been thinking about getting one for my lab
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 9:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Head halters are for every dog. They can be very effective, but they are not for every dog or owner.

To effectively teach the dog to stay in heel position, you need to do obedience, obedience, obedience. So, a lot of on lead heeling exercises. Just shortening the lead doesn't really train the dog, it shows the dog, and manages the dog. Good first step, but it isn't enough on its own.

I would teach this dog the automatic sit in heel, when you stop you need to sit him. And you should teach him to move laterally in to heel position, and teach him backing up on lead, in heel position. Also right and left pivots & pace changes. When you "walk" him you work on 10-20 minutes of combination of all the above. Yes, you hold him in heel position. And reward him when you are getting some slack on the lead. Once he learns to back, you can ask him to back up 3-4 steps with your left leg every time he starts to pull, that works too

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:58 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• spottedpony---Yep, done it, he can also pull on command onyl enough to bring me up then stop sit, he can watch for cars crossing street,.....he can do alot of things including picking things up and handing them over, retrieving things, catch me when I start to fall which he seems to know befor ehand,.. so yes he does most of that you wrote and much more, he just is being stubborn about walking nice, he can back as far or short as I want around the house, outside when I am in control and even go left or right, now how do I get him to walk nice and stop yanking my arm???????
    kingkongsmom

Comment by kingkongsmom (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• He knows more words and word commands than some grown men seem to and I am not trying ot be a butt here but I have insomnia and it looks like you read that from some instructions somewhere.
    Dogs are like kids what works most of the time on most dogs wont always work all the time on every dog and my best thign probably is to just repeat doing what I have and as others posted and keep repeating it untill he realizes I really am serious even if it takes me repeating it a hundred times a day.-He knows, he doesnt care, he does act like atoddler would so he may just need more time or I need to win the battle of wills.
    He has chewed up a few very expensive styles of leashes and some cheap ones too, he gets now that he needs a leash to go out and will grab it for us and bring it no one wanted him touching leashes even but he got tired of waiting a couple times while putting our coats on,.... he grabed it / pushed it into a hand.
    kingkongsmom

Comment by kingkongsmom (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Dec. 21, 2010