evaluation for my son

Today my son is going to be evaluated for ADD. I am so scared about this. I am doing this because his 2nd grade teacher says it should be done. She says that he is smart and has all the tools to learn, but gets easily distracted. Which i guess is true. I am worried that if he prescribed medication, it will change the child that he is. That his wonderful personality will go away, and he'll be droid like.

As you can tell i know nothing about this, so has anyone been through this. Do you have any tips?

EttaMay

Asked by EttaMay at 6:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Educate yourself with books, asking others (like here), and online with google. Looking into it can prepare you to ask the right questions and get all the information you need. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:53 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I went through this w/ my child at the end of 2nd grade & over this past summer. He's always had trouble paying attention so after consulting w/ his teacher (who we really trusted) we did an evaluation thru our pediatrician using the Connor questionnaire.
    Be VERY careful about the results and don't jump into anything like medication without further exploration. Our son is not medicated as it turns out he's just very smart, bored and an 8 year old boy :) I had exactly the same concerns you have - our son has a great, active mind & is wonderful. I didn't want medication to change that either.
    I highly recommend the American Academy of Pediatrics book about ADHD - I found it really helpful. I'd be happy to share all my research on this topic - it's how I spent my summer!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:03 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I would look at everything. I have a friend whose son was constantly tested for ADD and he doesn't have it. He is so smart that he is bored in school and gets easily distracted at school therefor he gets in trouble. I also have another friend, whose son had a weakness in his eyes. When he is working on something he needs to take breaks so his eyes can rest, and he starts looking around the room and then he gets in trouble. While I think ADD is definately something that kids have I also think sometimes it is just an easy out. You know your child best. If he does have ADD see if there is something else besides medication that you can do. Maybe see if the teacher will let him put notes or reminders on his desk.

Like maybe something she can point at as she walks by to refocus his attention. Lastly, I would talk to your son and see how he feesl about school.

Good Luck & Don't Worry!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:14 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Do YOU believe your child is dealing with ADHD? Teachers/school administrators are very quick to "diagnose" children. They are educators, not doctors.

Keep in mind that the minute you go for testing, your child will most definitely be diagnosed as ADHD ... without any testing to determine what, if any, underlying factors are manifesting themselves as ADHD behaviors. There are NUMEROUS conditions that are misdiagnosed as ADHD and they need to be addressed. The "testing" for ADHD is an absolute joke.

YOU have final say as to whether or not you choose to medicate your child. Do your research ... into what ADHD specifically is (there are several schools of thought on that one), what treatments (not necessarily meds) are best, and what meds (if you choose to go that route) you're willing to try.

I have been through the wringer as it pertains to ADHD. Was able to rid DS of his Dx using a biomedical approach. GL!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:03 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Evaluated by whom? What ever the school 'decides' I would have it backed up by a private psychologist or developmental ped.
    Anonymous

• i have ADD. i was never put on medication while i went to grade school. i was in "special ed" where i was put in classes that had an extra teacher so that i got extra attention. they would have prewritten notes to give to me and read me my tests and give me more one on one time, b/c it was hard for me to pay attention. and it really helped. maybe you have the option to opt out of medications.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 4:03 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• also, having ADD was a constant struggle, while i was in elementary school, i did not do good in class. i was barely passing and couldn't do my work. b/c i didn't know how to do it. even after the teacher explained it. my parents refused to acknowledge that i had a problem. finally, i was tired of struggling and told my dad in middle school about my struggles and that's when i found out i had ADD.

also, i don't know why people compare ADD to ADHD when they are not the same thing at all.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 4:08 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Read, study, and educate yourself. You DO NOT have to medicate him. You can do therapies, diet changes, and other things to manage it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:42 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Is the teacher a trained psychiatrists? Has anyone else expressed that he has issues?  If not, I wouldn't act on it just yet.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 1:04 AM on Dec. 24, 2010