how can i get my 1 year old to sleep all night?

My 1 year old wakes up every night at 11:30 without a fail and stays awake till about 12:00 and then wakes up every 2 hrs after that after going to bed at 7:30 i've tried a warm bath, a diaper change,orajil (in case shes teething,),a drive in the car, vicks, cereal before bed, staying up later then usual with her, nothing i've tried works..... any idea what else i can do? it wouldn't be a problem if my husband didn't have to get up at 2AM to go to work every day but he does, we've tried a night light but she stays awake so we turned the light off.... need help! open to any suggestions!

mrinewfe21

Asked by mrinewfe21 at 8:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• a toy in the crib that is not dangerous. my little one likes a little telephone ofcourse its annoying for us but it entertains her. some soft music. but truthfully i know someone that her son never slept well. she might do it until she is a little older. and she might be going through a growth spurt. i am a believer of cio. is she awake and playing or is she awake and then cries? if she is just in her crib awake. i would just let her be. i know its hard. how about her nap times during the day? what kind of activies do you do with her? sometimes the more active the better my little one sleeps. its just so unpredictable. good luck!
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:19 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I believe that she may be going through a growth spurt b/c all 3 of my boys start eating and sleeping strangely right b4 they suddenly grow out of everything! lol, I have the twins that still go through screwy sleep patterns and they are 3 1/2. and a 10yr old that does the same. Sorry that Im not much help but if she continues to have bad sleeping patterns for a long time and it starts to effect her eating, and awake time then I would take her to the peditrician and see if there is something that is causing the sleep disturbances... GL
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 8:24 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• we play all day we start out with a slow morning because she's just waking up and we watch cartoons she likes, and then we start out playing with her toys after breakfast, she takes about 1 nap mid to early afternoon or after lunch, and she wakes up and cries noo not cries she screams until she's red in the face and shes choking on her own saliva from crying soo much she's coughing, she's been doing this for a month now and it just messes with my husbands sleep, or else we don't have aproblem with it.... she does have small toys in the crib with her, she has a praying angle and two soft toys she cuddles with and a blanket...
    mrinewfe21

Comment by mrinewfe21 (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• ever thought about cosleeping? i do that when my dd wakes up and i am still half asleep. she sleeps better sometimes when she is in the bed with me. other then that my dd has screamed like that at times. well hope its a phase. good luck to ya.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:17 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• i would do that but the min she gets into bed with us she wants to crawl over me to get her my DH and hes gotta get up at 2 for work.... and all she wants to do when we put her in bed with us is play!
    mrinewfe21

Comment by mrinewfe21 (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Might be a good idea to run it past the pediatrician. My 3yr old started doing that earlier this year. She's quite a snorer, and we found out she has enlarged adenoids. It's affecting her breathing. She'll be getting them out in Jan. Otherwise, I spend half my nights in bed with her too. Not much of a personal life, ifyou know what I mean.
    missmarylou

Answer by missmarylou at 6:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Make sure he knows he is not missing anything and that you will be doing the same..? May have to endure three or four nights of sternness and quick lay down, kiss, love you, good night, and let him cry for as long as it takes. Hardest thing but a rule is a rule and bedtime must be a scheduled activity at that age but it really only takes three or four nights to train him to the routine you set (brief routine) to fall asleep. Hope it works well for you!! Maria
    Subarulady

Answer by Subarulady at 5:19 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• All kids are different. Often times kids who get up through the night may need to eliminate the naps during the day. It is perfectly fine notto get a nap. No sugary foods close to bedtime or water after 6 pm. If the child gets up, do not talk to them but simply place them back in the bed. Talking brings on alertness and prolongs going to bed. You mean business with consistency. Good luck to you.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 7:27 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• My DS was doing the EXACT same thing. My ped said to check and make sure he wasn't sick or wet and then leave the room. Do not talk to him, pick him up to cuddle him, etc. It worked. The first night he screamed for 35 minutes straight and woke up once 4 hours later. The second night I put him in bed awake and he screamed for about 10 minutes. Slept all night. Now almost 2 months later, he goes to bed at 830 every night and sleeps until 630 every morning. I occassionally have to change a wet diaper but he goes right back to sleep. Good luck. It DOES work. You just have to stay strong.
    aikenchic

Answer by aikenchic at 4:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• my ped when he was that age suggested melatonin, helped him falla sleep, but not stay asleep.. and for me honestly the only thing that worked was CIO at 15 m old, i couldnt take it anymore.. he was miserable, i was miserable and we were both tired.. he was up 10-12 times EVERY single night. And after 2 nights 20 min or less of crying he'd be asleep.
    sharisse

Answer by sharisse at 9:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2010