Einstein said it, but do you believe it?

I agree with this quote 100%.

happy holidays

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 8:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Not all Religions operate in fear. Many do. But not all.
    There are two things in this world. Love and Fear. You cannot live with or in both. You must choose one and only one.
    The statement is true, however, a Love Based Religion would provide the best and highest Ethical standards. JMHO
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:23 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• For the most part yes. Unfortunalty, many base their belief in the last part of this quote. If you go around in fear of the afterlife than you don't live the gift of this life to it's fullest.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I do and I don't. The first part is right in as much that religion alone does not determine any behavior but it does affect it. I don't think many people go around afraid if they do wrong they will go to hell . Religion comes in at that point when you believe in forgiveness so it really just is not an issue for most.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:47 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I can see that it would be nice if man were so good that he didn't need to be influenced by religious beliefs. This doesn't rule out religion, it just says that man shouldn't need it.- not that it isn't there.

Answer by Bmat at 9:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I agree. Religion isn't necessary, though often it can be helpful and meaningful. And fear should never be what things are about.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I agree with this, at least in talking about religions where moral action is based on fear and rewards. I agree with many of Einstein's quotes--in fact many people think he was a Scientific Pantheist (even though that term wasn't really around yet). He seemed to see himself as something between an atheist and a Pantheist. Here are a few other quotes I really like....

Albert Einstein:
    "A human being is part of the whole called by us universe ... We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.
    cont'd
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Just because people should be good to one another does not mean that they are. I agree that religion should not be about fear, it should be about love. Sad thing is, it seems in today's times there isn't any big motivator for people to be nice to each other. )c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:15 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• ....The true value of a human being is determined by the measure and the sense in which they have obtained liberation from the self. We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if humanity is to survive."

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously."

"What I cannot understand is how there could possibly be a God who would reward or punish his subjects or who could induce us to develop our will in our daily life. I cannot then believe in this concept of an anthropomorphic God who has the powers of interfering with these natural laws."

"The more a man is imbued with the ordered regularity of all events the firmer becomes his conviction that there is no room left by the side of this ordered regularity for causes of a different nature. For him neither the rule of human nor the rule of divine will exists as an independent cause of natural events."

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• "I do not believe that a man should be restrained in his daily actions by being afraid of punishment after death or that he should do things only because in this way he will be rewarded after he dies. This does not make sense. The proper guidance during the life of a man should be the weight that he puts upon ethics and the amount of consideration that he has for others. Education has a great role to play in this respect. Religion should have nothing to do with a fear of living or a fear of death, but should instead be a striving after rational knowledge."--Einstein

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• agree, when a religion is about fear it doesnt benefit a person in any moral way. doing whats right b/c you HAVE to isnt the same as doing whats right b/c its right. and when one bases their entire moral and ethical life on just religion, what happens if they lose that faith or someone challenges it?

i also agree b/c Mr. Einstein was intelligent enough to see the difference between all faiths and negative faiths.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2010