Anyone had a disagreement with their spouse over a pet?

There are full blooded Jack Russel pups for sale in my area for $75. I have been wanting to get a puppy for my son, he is an animal fanatic! Plus I had always said when we get a pet it has GOT to be a Jack Russel because I just love love love them to pieces!! However my husband says "Hell no, we dont need a dog right now are you crazy? bla bla bla" I have been perfectly content with not having a pet all these years but when I seen these precious babies for sale my heart just gave in! I am kind of upset with him about it but i'm definitely not going to bring home a puppy and have it cause issues for us! Just wondering if anyone else has been like this.. Maybe he's right.. maybe we DONT need a puppy right now, but my goodness they are so cute lol

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 8:19 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Pets

• its sad, but whenever i see something like a pet, i bring it home and ask after......all my animals are still here! lol
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 9:43 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• Have him go look at the puppies, he might change his mind after he held one.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:31 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Ahh I know!!! Just can't seem to get him to even do that! He probably knows he will want one lol I showed him the pictures and he looked for a second and says "Cute.. but no" lol
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 8:39 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• When he uses the words "right now" it makes me think that something is going on right now. Ask him what is going on and when it would be a good time.

Answer by Bmat at 9:05 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Don't bring the puppy home unless you can seriously afford the vet bill, the training and the food.

Second, just a word to the wise, JRTs are fantastic, but not easy or for best choice for first time dog owners, usually. So take that into consideration. This breed takes a lot of time and requires a lot of attention.

Third, be really over-prepared to be committed to this dog. Don't expect dh to fall in love or see the light of day. Have the mindset that you will be #1 caretaker and responsible 100%, dh doesn't have to lift a finger. Also find a room where the puppy can be put away, like a laundry room.

So, not promoting going behind dh's back. Forgiveness is easier than permission, if you can afford the expenses and make it so dh's life does not change, then I don't see why you can't have YOUR dog.

And buy a crate!!!

For the record I do know people who say NO and change their minds, but it has to be easy on dh.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:47 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My dh is not a pet person. He could very happily never have an animal. I, on the other hand, really feel like something is missing if there are no pets in the house. We do have pets, but it's agreed upon that they belong to the kids and I. Dh doesn't do anything with them...he would give them food if I was away overnight or something, but that's the extent of the work he puts in. If you and dh can negotiate care or can negotiate another, better time to get a dog, that might be a good compromise. Just don't go into it with the idea that he will warm up to the dog in time because he might not. Dh and I have been married for twelve years and I have had a pet or two for all that time... dh liked one of them in all that time. After she died, he never warmed up to another one. And the one he liked was the first one we had, meaning he hasn't helped out with a pet in over ten years!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I am thinking maybe when he leaves for the deployment sometime in March I may just go for it lol That will give us a full year to bond with the dog and take care of training and what not, and when hubby comes home what choice will he have? lol
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Don't get a dog unless you are all on board. They can bring families closer as you all walk regularly, everyone wants to be involved with the training and general caring (except pooper scooping ive noticed!!!) but i would never bring in a pet that time and effort consuming if there was any family member not okay with it...

My husband surprised me by enquiring about a cocker pup that was advertised at a rehoming centre, my knee jerk reaction was no but we went to look at it and i just fell in love with him. He's now 5 mos old and I love him as much as the kids! haha!
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 3:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• yes we have had disagreements before
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I have four naked (breed Peterbald) truely hairless cats. My husband hates cats. He constantly makes jokes about letting them loose outside (they are indoor pets because they could not survive outdoors being hairless). He realy despises the cats and the worse part is two of them actually adore him. They choose his lap, his feet to curl up on and are totally oblivious to the fact that my husband keeps pushing them off. So yeah, we fight about the cats all the time but I think my husband realizes they are here to stay until they die!
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 22, 2010