If the economy is getting better...

... Why are CPAs applying for a $10 an hour, part time clerical position?

I was expecting to get resumes mostly from students and stay-at-home moms. This is so depressing, I don't want to read any more!

Asked by rkoloms at 8:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• Certain indicators show the economy is getting better but the nitty gritty is still the same; people are steady losing jobs and there always will be people looking for jobs. Give your job to who you feel is the best candidate. Sometimes CPAs are SAHM and just want something extra to ease back into the work force. Like me, I nearly have an accounting degree and I applied at H&R Block this year even though I consider myself a SAHM.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• hey rkoloms! I feel like it's been a while since i've seen ya! How are you?

I have wondered the same thing myself! Here in Atlanta, the ecomony is no better & not showing many signs of getting any better....maybe i am in the wrong part of the country to notice such things....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:53 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I'm not seeing any signs up upturn around here other than the hope that it is. :)

Answer by Bmat at 9:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think if the economy is getting better it's at a snail's pace and the job market still sucks. CPAs don't provide a necessary service for most people, especially since you can do your own taxes online fairly inexpensively now.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:06 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Yes, its still a horrible mess especially her in Vegas, we have THE worst unemployment rate in the country at about 13% which is only down 1% in one yr. They say people are finding jobs but very very slowly, I think it's just because they cant file anymore...there unemployment has run out. Here is my example, my DH has been out of work for 2 yrs. now. He is a blue collar worker of course she we are at the bottom of the barrel and if it wasnt for my mom we would be homeless...no doubt about it. Last yr. he decided to become a certified professional cook, also serve-safe certified and finally recieved his GED. All of that work and he still cant find work, it's rediculous...this is Vegas of course...where the cooking careers should be plentiful all the time...but not in our case. I think the employers have such a HUGE amount of people to choose from that they are only picking out the best of the best and not giving anyone....
    Triscuit

Answer by Triscuit at 9:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• ...else a chance. With 15 yr. experience in restaurants and management and now certified and he has to resort to applying at fast food restaurants and they dont want to hire him either because he is over qualified and they dont think he'll be there long but they dont realize that he is a husband with 3 kids and lots of bills and NEEDS a job. Who will they end up hiring...some friggin teenager who doesnt really need it. At this point, DH is practically on his knees to employers and having to explain everything just so they can see how desperate he is....and yet they still turn him down left and right. It's very discouraging and though he puts on a good face for us...I know he's depressed.
    Triscuit

Answer by Triscuit at 9:30 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• We are in Chicago. I am getting resumes from people who have lost jobs paying $50.000-125,000 a year, and are willing to take a job paying $100-150 a week. It is just so disheartening!

Comment by rkoloms (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Because the change has been so small. Companies are investing in new equipment and inventory but not manpower.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I am an RN. Our facility is cutting employees, especially support staff. there is no "safe" field at this point, IMO-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• The economy is getting "better" based on the fed's judging system (stocks/stock prices, gdp..etc).. However, for the normal everyday hourly wage earning American. What many are experiencing is the "New" American economy for them. Low wages, service industry jobs being the most prevelant jobs, low hours, and little to no benies. This is it, this is the American economy for man (10's of millions) of Americans from here on out.. The highest sector for job growth in the past decade: service industry jobs. Traditionally the lowest wage jobs, little to no benie jobs, job with low job security: service industry jobs. The main problem with this being the prevailing job market, little to NO disposable income. Our economy is over 70% dependent on CONSUMPTION/ Sales of good & services. No disposable income means no money going into consumption.Equals stale/stagnent US economy. This is it for a while folks, I'm sad to say.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2010