Ok, I feel like a retard even ASKING this.... but I can't decide.

So we're heading out tomorrow morning to go visit the in-laws for Xmas. SIL is VERY pregnant (due on the 5th). DH made plans for a friend of his to give us a ride to the airport. The friend just mentioned that he's coming down with a cold.

So... do we stick with the plans to get a ride to the airport with him and risk getting whatever he's got (and potentially exposing SIL and the new baby to it)? Or do we drive ourselves to the airport and pay the horrible parking price (2 weeks at $13 per day)? I'm sure we're going to be around plenty of sick people in the airport anyway, so is it even worth avoiding the friend?

So am I just being overly paranoid? Or not?

coder_chick

Asked by coder_chick at 8:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Health

• Eh. I hate to say it but maybe a tad bit over paranoid.. but still very sweet of you to think of your SIL. I am sure that you have been more exposed than you may think to this wonderful winter cold thats going around. I'd say take the ride and just stay sanitized =)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:50 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Accept the ride. You will be exposed to more germs than you know while you are on the plane.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• careful....cafemom doesn't like the word "retard". I got in trouble for using it not long ago. I am very un-PC.....

Can you take a cab?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Take the ride, I think a little over paranoid, take some hand sanitizer with you and just make sure you guys are topped up on vitamins to help the old immune system! Trust me your SIL will probably already have been exposed to much more this winter season! You're very sweet for thinking of her!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:53 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I wouldnt say "overly paranoid" thats a bit strong. You are just cautious and a little worried, like me...but like me you cant go through life woring about everything...believe it or not that just causes more stress which brings your immune system down which makes it easier to get sick...lol...vicious cycle huh? Anyway, I would leave it up to your sil, maybe she could wear a mask over her nose and mouth and I certainly wouldnt suggest shaking his hand, just in case....but of course dont make him feel bad. Good Luck!!
    Triscuit

Answer by Triscuit at 9:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Overly paranoid. If your immune system is strong, you can have 10 people sneeze on you and you still wouldn't catch anything. It's not about those around you but about your ownhealth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think you will be fine having the friend take you, but all the same if it would make you feel better, take a cab, as long as it's cheaper than the parking fee you are doing okay.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:59 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Taking a cab isn't a great option. We'd have to lug the car seat (we've already got one with the rental car at our destination), and it's about the same or more expensive than just parking. (Which is incredibly lame)
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Well, I definitely feel better. I knew the concern was a bit over the top. Sometimes another voice of reason can help. THANKS!
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 9:06 AM on Dec. 21, 2010