I need help with my cross stitching.

How many strands of thread should I thread through the needle. I am using three pieces and feel like this is a lot of work. I lost the the directions so know I am making the project with just the pattern.

libria662

Asked by libria662 at 8:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Try using just 2 strands. Three is a lot for most projects. Two is more the norm.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:58 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I use two strands unless the pattern calls for something different.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It depends on the size aida cloth that you're using. Two strands is usually good on 16, 18, or 22 count cloth or projects with small stitches. Right around 14 count, two strands can start to look pretty thin! (Count refers to number of stitches per inch)
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:06 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I regularly use two strands.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:23 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Two strands I think is pretty typical, that's what I've always used.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

•                        Thanks for the feed back ladies. Here is my quilt cross stitch.  Let me know what you think.

libria662

Comment by libria662 (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Your threadcount is pretty much determined by the size of the pattern and how "full" you want the color to look afterwards. For something like a printed pattern on cloth, I'd use 3 strands and make sure your stitches interlock so that the print beneath doesn't show, especially with lighter thread colors.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• I'm thinking double strands are easier to fit through the needle. Also keep in mind that if the quilt comes with a certain amount of strands of color, you don't want to run out before you finish a section of the quilt that requires that specific color. If you are using a quilting kit it usually comes with just enough strands of color to do that particular quilt.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I'd go for 2.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:46 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I have two of those stamped cross stitch kits like the one in your picture. Mine both say to use 3 strands for cross stitch and 2 strands for all other stitches (back stitch or straight stitch or any other embroidery stitch.)
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2010