Are any of you Grandma's having to raise your grandchildren?

Or if put in a situation - would you?

I have four Grands (twin 6 yr old girls, 3 yr old boy and 9 month old girl); I do not raise them (thankfully my dd is a great mom - with her own mistakes) But I have often wondered how other grandparents can do it... I am so worn out just after a weekend with them that having to raise them would do me in. LOL

gambilldl

Asked by gambilldl at 9:05 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• When I had my first child at 17, I was still living with my parents. My mom, shortly before I had my son, told me that they would do everything they could to help me, but she WAS NOT raising my child for me.
    I happen to think that is the best thing she could have ever done for me. I too, have made my own mistakes, and I had to learn how to fix them. She has always been there for me emotionally, and I couldn't have asked for a better mother - she in turn made me a better mother.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 9:22 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I was a 1st time mom at 16 and now I have 4 and I can count on my hand how many times my mom has even babysat. She refused to raise her grandchildren if the parents were able and so will I.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:13 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Keisha - I said the same thing to my kids - "I refuse to raise my grandkids - I raised all of you, and that is MY job, if you decide to have children that will be YOUR job" and I have stuck by that... I know it is not easy raising kids and I was not going to make it any easier for my own. I can see if there is a danger to the children etc... the other reason grparents do raise them (but in my case) not just out of ease.
    gambilldl

Comment by gambilldl (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My Grandmother raised me.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I just became a granma to my daughter's first bio son and though I am still raising one little one I was gifted from elsewhere, I dont know ho wI would do it but if something happened to my daughter I would raise/share raise my granson, in this family though often we have different views, different lives,....... it is the duty of all immediate family to take care and help take care of next generation, thankfully my daughter is a super mother bear great mom, sometimes we dont want to even speak to one another but let a child want/need something and we are a united front, it is our jobs/joy to make a child certain of love and stable, we are comitted to doing whatever needs to be done and giving up all selfishness to do so, however, since she is a great mom, I get to just be mawmaw.
    I cant wait to move closer again and steal my granson every chance she lets me,LOL.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 10:04 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I have been raising both of mine for 6 years now. You never expect your child or their spouse to abuse or neglect their children. When they reject everything you every taught them it hurts, a lot. When that phone call comes in from another state saying "Come and get the kids or they will be taken in to States Custody"...you do what you have to do. Never say Never. As of the 2000 census 4.11 million grandparents in America were raising their grandchildren. You can best the numbers have NOT improved in 10 years.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:40 AM on Dec. 21, 2010