Flying with two small children?

My trip from MN to Seattle is coming up very soon. I've read all the tips, but I need someone to run me through their experience -from the ticket counter to take off. I have a 2 year old and 3 month old. We have 1 layover. I'm a nervous flyer anyway so any advice you can give me to keep the panic attacks to a minimum would be great. (like should I bring my stoller, they will let it on the plane right?, where can I find a bag for the infant car seat?, what do I do when the kids start screaming on the plane). Then after that...just tell me it's going to be okay! :)

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Travel

• Yes bring the stroller, they will take it from you when you actually board the plane. You don't need a bag for the seat. Give the baby a bottle during takeoff and landing. That will help with the ears hurting. Hopefully there will be no screaming, but if so, just do whatever you usually do to try and calm them, and good luck. A few new toys is a good idea. Don't bring them out till the drying starts.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:22 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Okay here goes by advice. You can bring a stoller and they will load under the plane and that will help with layover with the kids. As for cover for car seat if the bag is loose it can rip so some airline will not allow car seats covered. As for things to bring something like a picifier or suckers to help doing landing and taking off, snacks, a favorite animal, Airlines have cut handing out blankets so if cold might bring a blanket. As for nervous flyer take some aspirin to calm nerves. Ticket check in is easy. But be prepared for security and all work with you and your kids. You can even board early and do that. Just other than that not much you can control. Hope that helps.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 10:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Tip from a mom with 4 kids.
    Bring an umbrella stroller for the 2 year old.
    Sling your 3 month old.
    Are you going to put the car seat on the plane for the 2 year old? I would.
    The flight attendants will be of great help to you.
    Pack as light as you can for getting through security.
    I'd take only one bag, plus the 2 kids and a stroller and car sear. That's IT!
    Good Luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Don't worry about the kids making noise. It happens. The plane's engine is so loud that it mostly masks the noise anyway.

Fly at night, if possible. That way, the children can sleep most of the way.

Bring plenty of snacks. This is not the time to worry about scheduled meals and such.

Bring paci's and sippy cups for take-off. It helps to relieve the pressure in the little one's ears.

Bring fun activities for the two year old. Coloring books, new books, stickers, small toys...bring lollipops to head off tantrums.

You can gate check the stroller. Even though they will call first class passengers to board first, get in line anyway. The gate agents won't stop you.

Skip the car seat for the two year old. It's way too bulky. Just buckle him into the plane seat.

Try to only bring one bag. I brought a backpack with plenty of pockets. Make sure to pack diapers and wipes.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2010