• In the Spotlight:

Why cant kids be kids..........

I am writing in regards to another post I read where a lady was throwing a fit because her daughter showered with a friend at 9 years old.... So what.... Its not a perverted thing. I showered with my friend at that age. We would fill up the tub and play barbies in there. I just dont get why kids cant be kids anymore without someone adding pervertedness or sexual in it. Can a kid just be a kid? Why are they expected to act like mini adults? It was also said the parents of the other child should have called and asked if it was OK. I think if I was that afraid of my child showering at their house they wouldnt be there in the first place. My kids friends shower here alot. Does that make me a bad person? Should I call their parents everytime? Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I totally agree with you! Kids should be allowed to act like children. We all did when we were little and we turned out fine! Now-a-days people freak out when they see a child in a 2 piece swim suit b/c they say they are giving people the wrong idea. Well, here's a thought! Go bash about the perverted people in the world and leave the kids out of it! I feel better now! lol.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I agree with you as well, OP. I played in the bathtub with my friends until I was about seven and I started puberty. I'm not perverted, I'm not a lesbian, I'm not weird or screwed up in any way shape or form. I think people are far too protective of their kids today, they're way too sheltered. They're going to grow up thinking the world is fairy farts and rainbows and they're going to get VERY rude awakenings when they graduate from high school. It's sad :(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I agree with you also. I don't think there is anything wrong with being very protective of your child in order to keep them safe. But, I don't think this is one of those situations. If there are ANY concerns (shower or no shower) about my kids going to someones house...then they DO NOT go. It's pretty simple. Kids with kids isn't the problem in my book, it's perverted adults with kids...

supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 12:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I was taking baths with my friends when I was like 16, it was quicker when we were in a hurry to go do something, lol. Nothing sexual about it! I agree with you.
    abs0726

Answer by abs0726 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I'm not sure I would allow it, unless they were in bathing suits.
    Yes, kids should BE kids, but at 7-8 they can be out on the playground talking about sex, maybe even preforming oral. My 10 yr old cousin was found on top of a boy in her underwear. Kids these days grow up quicker. Many of them see//learn/know about sex MUCH earlier than we'd like to think, unfortunately, and they tend to learn about these things from friends at school.
    So I can understand wanting to be a bit cautious about it.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 12:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I think 9 years old is to old to be showering with their friends. If they are in a bathing suit thats fine, but not naked. At that age they are either starting puberty or about to start it, they need to learn about modesty.
    Anonymous

• I wish the world would be as easy going as it may have been when we were growing up, for those of us who weren't molested by a neighbor and or family member. I agree that with a bathing suit it would be ok, however if my child gets naked in somone else's house i would like to know about it, yes i do want to be notified if my child is over someone's house and takes off their clothes. not that i am afraid of the house that they are in, but sometimes there are guests over/other neighbors that i may have not been aware they were over. You just never know what child wants to experiment, by sticking objects in holes and such. Also, sometimes the nicest family/child has been through sexual abuse and may try to reinact it, so you have to be careful. I think if both parents know and they are being supervised then let them have fun as kids should, be still be cautious!
    Anonymous

• I disagree. Not only do I think that nine is too old to be in the shower together to begin with, but even more so because when my ds (who is now 10 but was seven at the time this happened) was at a mutual girl friends (whom I met through my girlfriend) house and my girlfriend's son (who is the same age as my son) was there too, the mutual girlfriend told them they could get a shower together and when her fiance knocked on the door to check on them (because they were a little loud) to make sure they were OK. When he walked in, my girlfriend's son was behind my son in an adult way and had an erection. And I'm not saying that kids can't be kids because in that aspect, I agree and they should be able to be kids,but that this is what happened to my son when him and a friend were "just two young boys getting a shower together". So please don't judge or bash me.

Anonymous

• I bathed with my best friend until we were pre teens then showered with her if we were in a hurry as teens. We never thought anything of it. I had to shower with other teen girls in high school gym class and in college so what's the big deal? It's not like anyone touched another in an inappropriate manner. I think the perversion is in the mind of the adult who thinks there are things going on. That's just nasty to think that of young kids.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I dont have a problem with it. My DD, 8, spends the night at friends all the time and comes home and says she showered there. No biggie either. Hell, I had a neighbor whos daughter liked to play doctor with all the kids. When I found out about it I brought it up to the mom and we talked to the girls and just made sure the door was always open and they werent unsupervised. I know that doesnt help here but just wanted to point out things happen all the time whether in the shower or not. And kids will be kids. They play doctor and explore. Not is a sexual way, just in a curious way. Its what they do. I do agree though that adults add the sexual aspect to it. There is nothing sexual about a 9 year old whatsoever. Unfortunately some adults disagree and those are the ones who hopefully are locked up...Sorry if I rambled...
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2008