My Dog Smells!

Sahanna will be 1 year January 25! She is a red long legged chihuahua. I have tried different shampoos, multiple baths & even gently used baking soda. The Doggy Spay doesnt last either! I have changed her food and still She Smells bad after a bath! Is there anything I could try before going to the vet about a smelly dog??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Pets

• Is it a yeasty smell? If so, you could try a grain-free food if you haven't already. Or the smell could be coming from her breath (you can brush her teeth daily with doggy toothpaste), her ears (infection), her privates (infection) or her anal glands (may need to be expressed).
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 11:21 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• i'd take her to get a "professional" bath and see if that helped, if not then i'd take her to the vet b/c she could have some kind of skin infection
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• What brand of food does she eat? Most dog food brands that you buy at the grocery store suck. Dogs like yours & also rottweilers can get real stinky if they don't eat proper food. Their type of skin & fur are the worste as far as smell goes. You're probably going to have to take her to the Dr. Also check the ingredients of the food you're giving her first. If it has corn in it, then it's probably the food.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Do you use good quality food? Have you been to a vet? Is it her skin/fur that smells or her breath?
    When you dry her, do you towel dry her? Try spraying some deoderiser when she's just about dry and then brush it in. Definatley pop to a vet though and get her checked out as there could be a physical explanation xx
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 3:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• mange maybe? or a skin infection? my dog ranked when he had mange, he got it from a fox that was hanging out in our back yard.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 9:41 AM on Dec. 28, 2010