How can you tell if you waters are leaking or if it's just discharge?

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and for the past two days I keep getting the feeling that I'm leaking and there is a damp patch in my knickers. It seems to happen more when I'm sitting or lying down. It's definitely not urine and doesn't seem to smell of anything. The baby's head is engaged, not sure if this makes a difference!

1sttimemum535

Asked by 1sttimemum535 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you are worried that you are leaking then place a call to your doctor. After that if you have to wait for him to call you back put on a pad and go lay down on your left side for about 10 to 15 minutes then if you get up and notice a lot of wetness then most likely it is your water. That is what my doctor told me to do if I was unsure. But you should call your doctor first. Good luck.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Call your doctor, or go to the hospital. They can test it to see.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My water never broke, my Dr. had to do it, so I'm no help here. I'd call the Dr. to be sure though, that's why he's there, and why you pay him.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Well, when my water broke it was more like a waterfall. No trickling here or there. It was a full-on whoosh!
    Gemska

Answer by Gemska at 12:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2010