The government should get to decide who deserves to inherit or not?

Barney Frank seems to think that nobody deserves to inherit money..the folks that worked hard and saved it do not deserve to hand it down to their children or whoever they choose to give it to.NAH let the govy snatch it instead.

This man is so appalling and I cannot believe he keeps getting elected..it is simply dumbfounding!

http://nation.foxnews.com/barney-frank/2010/12/20/barney-frank-heirs-didn-t-do-anything-deserve-inheritance

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 10:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The money was already taxed when the person earned it. It's ridiculous the government wants to double dip.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• If kids grow up thinking they can inherit from their parents, it creates a culture of entitlement and can prevent them from doing something useful with their lives.

This is a load of shit.^^^^^^^ My dad and mom are very wealthy they are worth many millions. My siblings and I all have made our own lives and been successful in life. We know our parents money is their money and we have to pay our own way as adults. When my parents die they should be allowed to pass on their land, property and hard earned money to their kids and grandkids without it being taxed yet again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I can't watch videos, but I have no issue with inheritance tax for over $200,000 or so. My parents have loads of money (well, not millions, but enough I'd pay a lot of tax) and I'm OK paying tax on it because it's not my money. I'd rather they left it all to charity, but if they don't, I'd just as soon the government did something with it. I do agree that the truly rich will find a way around it, but then, they have to live with that on their consciences.

All I can say is WOW
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:30 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Wow, some of you are really uninformed. Most wealth isn't CASH it is property. This is how families lose the family farm or ranch. How is it OK for the govt to take property owned by the same family for decades...sometimes more than 100 years? You girls need to get your entitled behinds off MSNBC and actually do some research into who loses the most in these cases.

I don't care if it is a zillion dollars, the govt has no right to money that isn't theirs. If people are smart enough to amass great wealth they should have the right to give it to whoever they want. No one else is ENTITLED to it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:50 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• There seems to be this perception that those of us who may have a sizeable inheritance when our parents pass are heartless. My parents and I are very close and I don't want their money or their stuff. I want them in my life as long as I can have them. When they are gone their hard earned money shouldn't belong to me or my brother? Instead Barney Franks deserves it. The lengths of his skewed perceptions astound me. Maybe he can use my inheritance to bail out Fannie and Freddie again.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 11:53 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I wonder what his estate plan is to shelter money so it goes to his heirs?
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It's nothing more than another money grab for the Government. The Government is NOT entitled to more of your already taxed money after you die. Many people save and invest with the thought of leaving money for the family to pay for the funeral bills and to make sure the spouse doesn't have to sell the house in order to carry on. It doesn't matter how much money you make when you are alive, it goes away after you die unless what you saved can be passed down to those you love. I think the Libs need to look to Government if they want to see real greed.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Oh, that's right, he doesn't have heirs, he's gay.
    Autumn07, Barney Frank is the Democratic U.S. House Representative for Massachusetts's 4th congressional district, serving since 1981, and the chairman of the House Financial Services Committee since 2007.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:49 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• If someone doesn't want whats left to them by their parents, then they are more then welcome to give it to charity themselves, in their parents names. But, if their parents left it to them, then obviously, that was what their parents WANTED. What their parents wished for. Why would anyone want to demean that? Why would anyone want to take that GIFT, and shit on it? That, to me, is a dirty as the government deciding they can just take it. Be it money, possessions OR land. And if it has already been taxed, is it even legal to tax it again?
    I agree, I'd much rather have my parents then their money or things. I certainly don't want the fights over their things that will inevitably happen. But, whatever they leave me an my family will be cherished. I know thought and love will have been put into the decision as to what is left to us. I'm not going to shit on that, and say I don't want it. I'm not that callus.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think when people die they should be able to leave their hard earned money, land, property what ever, to who or what ever THEY WANT. It should not be ANYONE'S choice but their's, it's their money or property. It should be just cut and dry, mine I do what I WANT with it period. I want my children to have what is mine, and NO ONE ELSE.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2010