Why is it that the newer churches that you join make you take new members class after you have joined

What the point of taking a new members class after you have join the church

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Our church offers new member classes. It is so new members can learn of everything the church offers and things like that. They don't force you but, they offer it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:50 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• They are just to get you acquainted with the background of the church and how they do things and to answer any questions you may have.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• With our church (which is a relatively new church) has you take them before you become a member. That way you know for sure if this is the church you want to join and to make sure that your beliefs and the church's beliefs are similar.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Our church is an older church, but we've just started a new members "class" that you do before you join the church.
    The "class" is a one day session on the history of our particular church, the history of our denomination for those that don't know it, and going over all the offerings of our church.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:56 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I wish that the church that i jointed two years ago had it but they dont
    tinamarie1972

Comment by tinamarie1972 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Go talk to your minister about starting a class like this for upcoming new members.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:06 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Churches also do it so you do not feel alone there are new people like you to meet.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• The church i go to has a new members class. You take the class when you join. I believe it's just one class and at the end you sign something and you are an official member of the church. I haven't done this. I have been going to the church for more than 2 years.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:39 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• So that you understand what the Church believes; so they can teach you more about what you believe; so that there is no confusion about what doctrines they do and do not follow.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My church does not do this... you are a member because you are already in the body of Christ. I never understood or agreed with having a membership within a church. To me its pointless.
    When you get saved you are already in the family of God. God doesn't require membership in the way the religious churches do.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2010