I accepted a new job during maternity leave, do I need to tell my current employer or can I wait to give them a two week notice?

I started maternity leave on July 3, the day before I started I was offered a new job to start the beginning of September. I haven't told my current employer and don't plan to until the middle of August. Is this wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Money & Work

• I don't think it is wrong. august is good.
    carol4004

Answer by carol4004 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• There is nothing wrong with waiting, esp. if you are afraid of losing your job sooner. I would check with policy of your current employer.. most jobs are two weeks notice.
    happy2BAmom80

Answer by happy2BAmom80 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• If two weeks is normal than there is nothing wrong with waiting.
    bizlady

Answer by bizlady at 9:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I would wait and give the two weeks notice at the appropriate time. Don't tell your co-workers either, someone might slip and say something to a boss and they may not "need" you anymore. Giving two weeks notice is the courteous thing to do, but your plans don't need to be their business.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2008