my son is 3yrs.old and has ADHD need help

he is on meds and in Preschool and daycare,even Awana.Needing support and answers,on how we can better deal with him and this,it is very hard at times we love him sooo much.

Keisha2

Asked by Keisha2 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't have a child with ADHD but I WAS a child with it and now am an adult with it. If you have any questions or concerns I'm sure I can answer them. I've helped a couple of other moms with little ones that have ADHD. Feel free to add me anytime.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 12:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• As the mother of a severely ADHD child who is now grown what I can tell you is Structure, schedule, rewards not punishment. In a nutshell..those are the things that help us , help him to be successful. ADHD kids typically go to that hyper, out of control place when something new happens. Doing the same things the same way everyday..helps..a lot. In fact, I think it helps a lot for ALL kids ADHD or not. Punishment doesn't work. We used 'poker chips' For ever day he came home from school with a good behavior log..he earned chips...chores done earned chips..etc...then he had to spend chips to watch TV, go outside to play, and special things he could save for. Cont's
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My son was 17 when he told me that ADHD was like "having a TV in your head and while you are trying to watch one program somebody else has the remote and they keep switching channels..all you keep doing is trying to switch back to your program. It keeps going faster and faster until you feel crazy inside" " His neurologist thought that was the most accurate desciption he had heard to help peple who DON"T have ADHD to understand.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• At 3??? Come on. I don't believe in ADHD. Are you sure it's not a different medical problem?
    Anonymous

• Must be nice to simply not believe in a medical condition. Hey, I'll just stop believing in cancer, then I'll never get it. Some people are ridiculous.....

I do think 3 is a bit young to be diagnosed, but obviously you've talked with your doctor and everything, so I can only say I agree with GrneyedGrandma about structure and schedule. Both of mine, ages 5 & 7 and both diagnosed within the last yr, do much better when we follow the same routine everyday. If I have to change the routine, I try to give them as much notice as possible and to keep giving them reminders frequently to prep them for that change. Be patient; you might have to remind him several times to finish a chore. Break big chores down into smaller things. Like if you want him to clean his room, tell him to go pick up all his clothes. Once that's done, then to pick up all his toys. And on and on until the room is clean. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I just learned in my dev. psyche class that medicating young children who have that diagnosis is not the best approach. Instead, seek Behavior management. They do not know the long term effects of medications on children who are still developing. My prof. says it is like a mental straight jacket. It may work, but then how will the child learn to self-regulate his behavior, if never given the chance? on it now, and he'll be on it forever. anyone on meds for 10 years straight including bc pills shorten their lifespan significantly due to the stress on the liver to detox. stuff I learned this past month. One theory about adhd is that the children are seeking stimulation. and get hyper to create their own. that is why they give them a stimulant when you would think they would give them a relaxor. Sorry for your situation.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 5:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Your professor should go back to school. That is horrible that he is giving you that crap. I'm a therapist and some children do need to be medicated at that age. And I know a lot of children who have been on meds for more than ten years and their liviers are just fine. It sounds like your professor has an issue with "lableing" vs. diagnosing. Look, there should be support groups for parents with ADHD kids. Its usually called CHADD. Most areas have one and find a chapter near you. Other parents have creative ways to help their children and are willing to share. Its all trial by error. Everyone has their theories about ADHD but in the end you have to do what you think is best.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2008