advice on diapers

for all u mamas who have already had your babies, i need advice! i want to go ahead and buy diapers so i have some ready, but im nervous ill get too many of one size or not enough of another.. i have 1 pack of N diapers so far. how many did you buy right away and how soon did yall start using size 1's, (i kno every baby is different in weight, but say a newborn at 6-7 lbs)
i just need some ideas. :) thanks

1sttimemom2011

Asked by 1sttimemom2011 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I just bought a little of every size every brand. My son wasn't in N size very long, and I figured out which brand worked best for us. Just don't open the diapers up, and you can always exchange later if you need to. That's what I'm doing.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:11 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• thanks
    1sttimemom2011

Comment by 1sttimemom2011 (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My first (8 lbs 8 oz) went through one box of N. My second (8 lbs 3 oz) was in size 1 before she left the hospital at 10 days old. Stick with one pack of N for now, buy a couple packs of 1's if you want, you'll be able to use them, even if it's not right away. And if you need more N's, you can buy them after the baby is born, but you won't have to rush out since you'll have a pack already. Or you can go ahead and get a pack or two more of N's and exchange them if needed.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:19 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I think I went through 2 big packs of newborns the switched to 1s...I don't remember how long they were in 1s, but it was a little longer than N. Then 2s lasted for a little longer, 3s lasted for a long time, and my 20 month old is still in 4s and she is big for her age....we used pampers swaddlers at first and from 3 on use luvs (bc the sized of different brands differ I thought I'd include this info.)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:31 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I never bought Newborn. I started with size 1. I think only 1 box. They moved quickly into size 2. I think they stayed in size 2 for a while. Remember, they can wear a diaper that is a little too big, but not if it's too small. It starts to leak. I loved Pampers the best. They never leaked for me. Huggies used to leak all over the place. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:33 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• my dd who was 9lbs 3oz wore a size one for about a week
    ds who was 8lbs6oz was in a size one for about 2 or 3 weeks
    neither of them fit in a newborn size
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I bought about 3-5 packs of newborns and the same in sizes 1 and 2. I think my little boy was about 2-3 months when he went to size 1... as well as my daughters.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:39 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My baby came home at 5 lbs 1 oz so she was in preemie clothes for a while and we used newborn for over a month, I think.
    HeartsCombined

Answer by HeartsCombined at 12:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• They're not in the smaller sizes very long. My three have all been around the same size a birth, between 7 pounds 11 ounces - 8 pounds 1 ounce. They should have the weight on the diaper packs. To give you an idea of how fast the grow, mine were from 9 pounds 8 ounces - 13 pounds by their two month check ups. And by four months they were from 15 pounds 14 ounces - 17 pounds 15 ounces. So, don't get too much of the smaller sizes.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I had one large pack on newborns and that was plenty for me, DS was 6lbs 11oz when he was born, the size 1 seemed a little big on him but the newborns weren't the best for poopy diapers. I liked the pampers swaddlers best for newborn size and after that I liked the huggies diapers better, they had the elastic in the back helped out with the runny poops. Babies grow so fast in their first year and it is hard to really know how many of what size to get, I would be at least one jumbo box of 1's and 2's and really load up on size 3, that is the size that they will most likely wear the longest. But whatever you do, DO NOT open the diaper package until you are ready to use those diapers, you can always exchange them as long as the package isn't opened!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2010