CA Gay Marriage?

No need for drama, I just have a question. So, since CA voters voted against gay marriage (I know, you say they have no rights, I'm not debating that), I am guessing that there are lawsuits to try to overturn that. Are there other states that allow gay marriage? And if so, if you are gay, go to that state to get married, are you only recognized as married in that particular state? Like if a CA gay couple go to whereever lets them do it and they go back to CA, will they be considered married in CA? *HONEST QUESTION, NO DRAMA INTENDED*

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 12:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Only two states allow gay marriage, Massachusetts and Connecticut. If there is no amendment or law in a state allowing gay marriage then the couple will not be recognized or treated as married. Marriage between a man and woman is recognized in every state of the union, therefore no matter where a straight couple goes, the marriage is recognized.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• No I dont think so, if the state doesnt have gay marriage then it is not reconized at all there no matter were it was performed. I personally have nothing against it but I think they should be thankful they have civil unions b/c my state doesnt even allow that which I think is bs
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 12:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I'm guessing if they go to another state that allows them to get married it'll be just like if a straight couple gets married...once they're married they're married everywhere, they just have the marriage license for that state they got married in. That is how it works, right? Correct me if I'm wrong : /

I think it's far more of a civil rights issue for most people though, not just a fact of "Oh, well if other states allow it, why not go get married there and come back to your home state." They won't be satisfied with that answer.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I get what you are saying caitxrawks. I wasn't really going in that direction of suggestion though. I wouldn't suggest that someone has to take a trip to get married officially, as I realize that not everyone has a financial situation to accomodate that. My question was purely logistic in nature. I was curious, because I really don't know if gay marriage is treated the same as straight marriage. KWIM?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• OH! Okay, yeah I see your point =] That's what I'm curious about too. Like I'm sure if Ellen and Portia go on vacation in Florida or something they'll still be considered legally married because they got married when it was still legal in CA. Hmmm. Maybe someone will have legal info to back it up lol.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• No need to get catty. I was serious. I don't really have an opinion on this subject one way or another as I am not gay. But since you brought up a hypothetical, what if Ellen and Portia moved to a state where gay marriage wasn't recognized, would it be for them since they were married legally in a state that allows it (at least at the time)?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• It is not. If your state does not recognize gay marriage, it doesn't matter if you were married in another state.

It is currently legal in Massachusetts and Connecticut.

There are several groups putting together lawsuits
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I think it varies from state to state. Some states which do not allow gay marriage still recognize the marriages performed in other states. Some states will not recognize it at all.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 12:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• thank you for an informative answer (without the snark), jcsscfam5.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• no, they will have no legal standing.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2008