has anyone had a natural birth without an epidural & how bad is the pain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Dec. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i have
    the pain i cant describe it to anything but i do remember after all of the pain it felt so good at the end i think what hurt the most was the ripping that burned i gave birth to a 9lb 5oz newborn
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It's horrible, but it's all worth it in the end.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:21 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I had my 2nd & 3rd babies with NOTHING. The pain was pretty bad, but my actual last bit of labor after my DR. broke my water for #2 was 45 minutes and #3 was 30 minutes. l actually brag not 1 cuss word passed my lips. Both my girls middle names are my 1st and middle name due to the natural births per my request. I would do it again in a minute, call me crazy, but I loved seeing every minute of their birth, maybe a little of the process of being almost out of it for my 1st and not remembering a thing. Good luck if you choose to go that way, it's a beautiful thing to see your baby born, but an epidural is not a bad thing if you choose to have one.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I had a total natural birth. I think the frame of your mind has a lot to do with the level of pain. Women who are a nervous wreck & scared will feel more pain than a woman who is in control & calm.

I definitely can say that i have felt worse pain in my life than childbirth. A year and a 1/2 ago, i had to have my last two wisdom teeth removed. I knew that the roots had a hook shape to them & that the would be a pain to get out....that's why i procrastinated so long. Anyhow, they had to chip way at my jaw bone to get them out. It didn't hurt during the process, but the next few days were the most painful in my life. I would rather have given birth to 3 babies naturally that go through that pain again.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:21 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It varies. Some women can't manage the pain, others say it barely hurts at all. Regardless, whatever pain there is is generally relatively short-lived, and it will be out of your mind when you're holding your baby. :)

You don't have to make a decision now. If you want to go med-free, that's fine, but then it's ok to change your mind during labor. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:23 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I gave birth both times without any pain medication. The first birth I couldn't feel anything as soon as I started to push. I couldn't really even feel my contractions. I felt a little pressure but that's it. With the second one, it felt like my baby was trying to come out of my butt. So much pressure! I guess I could have a high pain tolerance but I wouldn't get an epidural. My first son was born about an hour or less after we got to the hospital. My second was born 3 hours after I got the hospital.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I was scheduled to get an epidural but they arrived to late to start it....wasnt thrilled about that....I did have IV pain meds that barely touched the pain .....yes its painful..it really depends on your pain threshold...it burned when the head and shoulders were delivered and I noticed when my doc started stitching me up...he thought I was numbed and worked quickly after that.....so I was stitched up with out lidocaine too....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 11:32 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I had my first two without anything but that was right before they used the epidural.If you really work on learning your breathing, I did not take Lamaze or anything while pg just read alott, I would find a focul point in the room and focused on that and learned how to breathe b/c the more hollering or whatever some women do in pain like tense up too, the worse it gets and doesn't help speed things along either, you just hurt more b/c you tense up.It is painful but every women has it different, some more back labor some more in front, everyones different, I also have friends who said it wasn't bad at all.To me just felt like really bad menstrual cramps.You can do it.Its such a wonderful pain too that once the baby comes, its over,of course other then some discomforts after but once I seen my baby I didnt care and feel what the Doc. and nurses were finishing up down there;) walk while pg too if u can:)Hope this helped some:)))
    karencrouch

Answer by karencrouch at 11:33 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I did this twice with my first two, the pain was bearable, but then again I only had 2 and 3 hours of labor.

Answer by older at 11:39 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• its about a 10.... I was screaming for epidural at 7 cm.. she was born 2 hours later.. Had the epidural. There is no reason why you should be in agony. The epidural made my delivery more enjoyable.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 11:41 AM on Dec. 21, 2010